MORNING EDITION HOST, KERA NEWS
KERA, the public broadcasting organization for North Texas, is hiring a host to take over one of our station’s most visible and influential on-air roles.
WHO WE ARE:
KERA reaches more than 2 million people weekly through KERA TV, KERA News, KXT, WRR, KERA Arts and the Denton Record-Chronicle. For more than 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a destination for trusted educational programming and initiatives, community engagement and lifelong learning.
As we seek to recognize and reflect the increasing diversity among our audiences, we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives to consider employment opportunities at KERA.
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE:
The Morning Edition Host will play a critical role in making sure KERA is reaching our North Texas audiences each morning with reliable, in-the-moment information. With the morning newscaster, they will be a key voice and face of KERA’s effort to cement itself as a credible and dynamic news organization.
The ideal candidate will be able to work both collaboratively with staff and independently, executing a conversational, credible sound and exhibiting professionalism in all situations. We’re looking for someone with excellent board operation skills and an ability to craft dynamic, seamless breaks which highlight the national stories of the day alongside the local news content from the KERA Newsroom. Collaboration is key to this role and achieving the sound we seek for Morning Edition on KERA News.
The ideal candidate will have radio experience, and be willing to bring a fresh, conversational sound to our morning programming.
The Morning Edition Host position is classified as FLSA non-exempt, which is eligible for overtime and will report directly to the KERA News Program Director.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Serve as a high-profile local host on KERA FM, leading work on the most-listened-to show of the week for a discerning audience that craves and strongly supports good, local journalism.
- Plan, stack and execute dynamic, conversational breaks that engage audiences and deliver a variety of promotional, informational and news content from our state and national partners and KERA’s local newsroom.
- Serve on behalf of KERA as a spokesperson and/or representative at assigned station events or other community related forums. Be comfortable and capable as a public speaker.
- Work in a live and pre-recorded broadcast environment with ease, and at times, with limited preparation.
- Operate and manage multiple inter-connecting broadcast systems and technologies.
- Write liner copy to promote top local and national stories, and other KERA News priorities throughout the day.
- Produce daily programming promos, weekly Audience Development promos, and other production needs. Voice promo copy.
- Regularly host two-way conversations with KERA News reporters and other news partners.
- Occasionally contribute to breaking news coverage and special coverage outside of normally scheduled shift.
As a KERA employee:
- Participate in broadcast and online fundraising as needed.
- Be an active participant in KERA’s work towards equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging.
- Work in a manner that is consistent with KERA’s mission, vision and values; and maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
This list of job duties is not exhaustive and is subject to regular reviews and updates.