The Disney owned station WABC in New York City, has an opening for a collaborative anchor/reporter who is responsible for taking ownership of, and working with producers and reporters/colleagues to craft high impact content on linear and digital platforms. The candidate also sets the tone for teamwork and excellence within the station and across the station group. The anchor/reporter is an empathetic and ethical news leader who is committed to uncovering and reporting the facts, and with integrity above all else.
They must be a team player, compelling journalist, and inclusive storyteller with the ability to authentically engage and connect with a diverse audience. Additionally, the anchor/reporter must demonstrate a full understanding of the powerful voice and responsibility journalists have to, and with, the communities they serve.
This is a full-time staff position. The position is covered under the SAG-AFTRA- WABC-TV Collective Bargaining Agreement.
This role is considered on-site, which means the employee will work from a Company designated location on an ongoing basis.
- Exceptional reporting, writing and interviewing skills
- Ability to source and generate impactful enterprise leads, and create impactful content relying on critical relationships with local newsmakers
- Be tenacious in their ability to uncover stories through investigation and research
- Subject matter expertise in telling high-impact stories in breaking news coverage, and the ability to demonstrate this from the anchor desk and in the field
- Ability to report, write, capture visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as owned and distributed digital and social platforms
- Active use of social media for promotion and news gathering
- Demonstrated ability to move an audience between linear and digital platforms
- Willingness to lead and mentor
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to the community, which includes representing the station and participating at various community events
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of anchoring experience, and 5 years of reporting experience in a top 10 market
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. Preferred emphasis in journalism or a related field.
The hiring range for this position in New York is $250,000 to $350,000 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.