Law, Business & Education Editor OGMC
Job ID: 48411
Location: Evanston, Illinois
Department: Global Marketing/Communication
The primary focus of Office of Global Marketing and Communications (OGMC) is communicating Northwestern’s academic agenda -- communicating to all internal and external audiences in order to strengthen our identity and improve our reputation amongst our peers.
The Law, Business and Education Editor is responsible for media relations strategy, reporting, writing, pitching and communications execution for the Pritzker School of Law, the School of Education and Social Policy (SESP) as well as working closely with the media relations team at the Kellogg School of Management. This editor will work closely with OGMC’s Managing Editor for Media Relations and the Director of Media Relations to ensure comprehensive coverage of those beats and as well as cover other news from across the University as needed.
*Note: Not all aspects of the job are covered by this job description.
- Covers the School of Education and Social Policy, Pritzker School of Law, and the Kellogg School of Management, connecting with researchers, faculty members and communicators from those schools and units to develop, write and pitch stories that elevate Northwestern’s reputation.
- Creates and sends press releases and media advisories about key research and other news from the above beats.
- Pitches media on stories from the above beats.
- Matches faculty with breaking news stories to place faculty as expert commentators in the media, connect reporters with faculty expert sources for stories.
- Serves as the primary media contact for the schools and units listed above, establishing an ongoing relationship with the media, including proactively contacting reporters and pitching media outlets across local, national and global media landscapes, including tier-one media outlets.
- Coordinates with other members of the OGMC staff, including the Social Media team, Web Comm and Marketing to promote the University’s business, education and law research activities.
- Develops strategic concepts, synthesizing complex information and developing media-worthy stories for use in marketing communications.
- Develops and repurposes content for social media, as well as Northwestern’s website, electronic newsletter, print publications and videos.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President, Global Marketing and Communications, and the Assistant Vice President of Communications.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Minimum of three years of experience in journalism, communications, strategic communications, media relations, PR agency and/or intergrated marketing/communications roles with a demonstrated record of success working in/with global, national and local media;
- Extensive knowledge of print, broadcast, digital and social media;
- Excellent news judgment;
- Experience in academic/higher education communications a plus
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong writing, pitching and storytelling skills;
- Ability to work quickly and on deadline;
- Proven ability to network and develop relationships with key stake holders;
- Experience working in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment;
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, English or a liberal arts degree that requires significant writing
- Comprehension of AP Style writing
- Candidates for this position should be prepared to work after hours and on weekends as necessary to attend events, complete assignments satisfactorily and meet media deadlines.
Please apply online at https://careers.northwestern.edu/psp/hr857prd_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=48411&PostingSeq=1
At Northwestern, we are proud to provide meaningful, competitive, high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts and more! Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/index.html to learn more.
Work-Life and Wellness:
Northwestern offers comprehensive programs and services to help you and your family navigate life’s challenges and opportunities, and adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles.
We support flexible work arrangements where possible and programs to help you locate and pay for quality, affordable childcare and senior/adult care. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/work-life/index.html to learn more.
Professional Growth & Development:
Northwestern supports employee career development in all circumstances whether your workspace is on campus or at home. If you’re interested in developing your professional potential or continuing your formal education, we offer a variety of tools and resources. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/learning/index.html to learn more.
Northwestern strongly recommends COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters for people who can obtain them as a critical tool for minimizing severe illness. More information can be found on the COVID-19 and Campus Updates webpage.
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.