The Daily Beast is looking for a part-time Social Media Editor with Online News experience to join our team. The position, which includes weekend hours, reports directly to the Director of Social Media and requires collaborating across teams, including editorial and marketing, to grow our presence and impact on the company’s social media channels. The ideal candidate has a strong interest in politics, entertainment, and breaking news—and, of course, has a strong social game.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Write captivating and timely social media posts for breaking news and articles on topics across all sections
- Amplify our exclusive stories across platforms with engaging copy or video
- Adapt to a changing social media environment with posts on Facebook, X (Twitter), Threads, Instagram, TikTok, Reddit and beyond
- Manage all aspects of social media coverage on one or both weekend days
- Send push alert notifications for breaking and feature stories
- Monitor traffic and growth using data tools including Parsely and CrowdTangle
- Inform partner platforms of key stories
- Help promote membership across all platforms
- Provide headline suggestions for the newsroom to maximize SEO and social reach.
- Reach out to new and diverse audiences
- Strategize to help reach both traffic and brand building goals
- Relevant social media and news experience
- Strong communication, editorial, and analytical skills
- The ability to work in a fast-paced news environment—taking initiative, receiving constructive feedback, and working with minimal supervision.
- Excellent news judgment and nose for breaking stories and trends on social
- Understanding of pressing topics for diverse cultures, communities, and racial and ethnic identities.
- Location is flexible
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
Why work for us?
The Daily Beast is a globally recognized publication at IAC HQ in pristine Chelsea in New York City. Being part of IAC, we are able to provide you some of the best benefits. We offer discretionary vacation, tuition reimbursement, 401(k) matching, stocked kitchens with snacks and drinks, and excuses to celebrate all the time! Work for us and work for something spectacular!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The pay range for this position is: $30.00 to $39.99 per hour. The base salary range represents the anticipated low and high end of the salary range for this position. Actual salaries may vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to work location, experience, and other factors.