The Managing Editor, News and Information (ME/News) oversees and coordinates News and Information content creation for all platforms, including broadcast, digital and live programming.
The ME/News shapes daily and short-term News and Information coverage priorities and, in consultation with the Executive team oversees long-range Content planning and special project development, coordination and implementation.
The ME/News works collaboratively to create and carry out the strategic vision for CapRadio's audience service though the highest quality content and efficient use of station resources. The ME/News upholds CapRadio's ethical, editorial, artistic, and technical standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage the planning, reporting, editing and presentation of news on all platforms
- Define and maintain ethical, editorial artistic and technical standards for all news coverage
- Oversee all operational aspects of News including story assignment and editing to insure journalistic and production standards, and dissemination of content across all platforms
- Maintain editorial control over all news related content on all platforms and formats
- Collaborate to develop and implement audience growth strategies for news content
- Oversee the development and production of special news programming, editorial series and related programming initiatives
- Supervise the news management team and set goals with staff to ensure professional development needs are met
- Develop and monitor news department budget and collaborate with senior leadership on developing annual budget
- Lead hiring in the newsroom
- Oversee newsroom adaptation to emerging platforms
- A four-year degree or equivalent experience required
- Minimum seven years full-time professional, progressively responsible experience in multi- media news
- A broad knowledge of local, regional, national and international political, legislative, economic, scientific, arts and cultural affairs
- News judgment
- Proven success in managing a team
- Advanced copy editing and multi-media writing skills
- Highly computer literate including excellent skills with Microsoft Windows operating system, Microsoft Office and audio editing software, such as Adobe Audition or Pro Tools
- Highly familiar with social media platforms
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to drive a motor vehicle and driver's license