Spectrum 's award-winning news team is looking for a reporter / senior reporter (dependent upon experience) to join our lively newsroom in New York City.
Spectrum is the go-to destination for autism news. The site also features long-form stories on topics ranging from unproven therapies to autism in Africa. These articles have won top journalism awards. Spectrum stories have been syndicated by The Atlantic, Scientific American, Slate and The Washington Post, among other popular outlets.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious science journalist to develop a beat in the fast-moving field of neuroscience.
You would write news stories, profiles and features that educate, challenge and inspire our audience of scientists. Neuroscience, genetics, cognition and behavior and research ethics quicken your heart. You will cultivate sources, embed yourself in the research community and be the first to know about trends and provocative advances.
Spectrum is funded by the Simons Foundation but is editorially independent.
This is a full-time position based in our offices in New York City. We offer a generous salary and truly excellent benefits.
- Monitor the latest research, news and trends in neuroscience.
- Conceive of and write a variety of stories, including news, profiles, explainers and long-form features that educate, challenge and inspire our audience of scientists.
- Cultivate sources, embed yourself in the research community and be the first to know about trends and provocative advances.
- Attend and report from conferences.
- Work with art director to develop art ideas for stories.
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in a scientific discipline
- Graduate journalism coursework preferred
- At least three to five years of journalism experience - preferably including experience in digital journalism - along with a solid background in biology (neuroscience preferred) and impeccable news judgment.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Social media skills
- Writing under deadline pressure
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Please submit a rsum and cover letter stating your interest in the position.
- Five writing clips
- The full-time annual compensation range for the Reporter level is $74,000- $90,000, depending on experience.
- The full-time annual compensation range for the Senior Reporter level is $91,000 - $110,000, depending on experience.
- In addition to competitive salaries, the Simons Foundation provides employees with an outstanding benefits package.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.