Associate Director of Audience Development
Application instructions for this and all current OPB employment opportunities are available at OPB's careers page.
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
Do you have experience building and engaging audiences? Do you have experience with product design and development? Do you see the value of partnerships in driving successful outcomes? Can you leverage data to craft strategy? If so, you may be a good match for our Associate Director of Audience Development position.
The Associate Director will be joining the Programming and Audience Engagement team – a new team of 23, formed last year (merging our Programming, Marketing, Communication, and Web Development teams) to implement an audience first strategy that leverages technological tools to enrich the experience of current and potential audiences when they engage with OPB content. In this role, there are many opportunities for experimentation, creativity and building new pathways to support this work.
The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit, an inherent understanding of digital spaces and an eye for strategy. Curiosity, motivation and strong interpersonal skills will drive success in this role!
The Associate Director of Audience Development is a key leader who drives strategy for developing diverse audiences and building engagement in digital and community spaces with an initial focus on the audience journey on OPB.org. As informed by organizational strategic priorities, this person identifies and executes tactics that develop new audiences and deepens engagement with current ones. This work is done in collaboration with other Programming and Audience Engagement (PA&E) team members as well as members of other teams in Content, Digital and Fundraising.
The Associate Director will be focusing on both high-level strategy and execution of digital audience engagement products and channels, as well as driving cross functional teams for new product initiatives that will help grow OPB audiences. They will be comfortable defining and leveraging testing strategies, using organizational and industry insights, data, and competitive research, while maintaining the OPB’s standards, tone, voice and integrity.
35% - Identify pathways and products to build new audiences and more strongly engage current ones.
Utilize organizational and industry insights, external partners, current OPB data and competitive research to identify and communicate to the organization where OPB has potential to connect with new audiences. Communicate with potential new audiences to determine what they need from OPB and how they would like to engage with our organization.
- Envisioning, executing and evaluating various strategies to grow and engage new and existing audiences across platforms and content areas with an initial focus on our website and future focus to also include podcasts, video products and email
- Contributing to developing partnership opportunities to better amplify our content and engage new audiences with it. (for instance, media partners with whom we can share content to reach previously underserved audiences)
- Collaborating with stakeholders to define and prioritize new digital features and working with our designers and developers to launch features that better engage audiences and build relationships once in the funnel
- Identifying new growth opportunities and best practices based on emerging digital trends, competitive business intelligence and consumer insight
35% - Facilitate and drive cross functional teams
For new products and initiatives, pull together teams from across the organization in order to best define audience, define audience's needs, identify which product will serve the audience best, timing and how to implement creation and rollout.
- Collaborating with the PA&E team as well as Content and Digital on distribution and engagement strategies on our website, in social media and in communities
- Working with multiple teams to define audience goals and translate them into measurable metrics of success
- Facilitating and driving cross functional product teams with colleagues in News, Content, Development and others to create new products for attracting and developing audiences
20% - Develop and implement testing strategies
Identify opportunities for testing along the entire audience funnel and develop a plan to implement iterative testing, as well as a communications strategy for reporting. This includes funnel optimization, distribution channel mix and headline and image optimization.
10% - Other duties including special projects, experimentation and idea development, cross departmental work groups and other items as opportunities and need arise.
- Collaborating with our content colleagues to experiment with new content executions in emerging distribution platforms
This position spends most of the time at a computer during standard business hours with occasional evening or weekend work. Occasional travel is required for meetings and conferences (regionally and nationally).
- Substantial experience developing audience
- Experience with product design/development
- Advanced understanding of audience analytics, with specific expertise in mining Google Analytics, Chartbeat and other tools for audience insights
- Expert knowledge of social media trends, user experience and SEO optimization, with the ability to train and work with teams on SEO and product development
- Strong writing and editing skills, with keen attention to detail
- Ability to manage both urgent, short-term projects and complex, longer-term projects
- Understanding of a changing media climate
- Demonstrated ability to lead, inspire and work constructively with a variety of colleagues across multiple disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to work with external partners
- Oriented to innovation, strategy, problem solving, teamwork and constant pursuit of audience service
- Detail oriented and strong time management skills
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Evidence of increased professional responsibility
- Public media experience
- Supervisory experience
- This position reports to the Director of Audience Development and Marketing and is benefits eligible
- The probable hiring range for this exempt position is between $78,700 - $88,700 annually, depending on qualifications
- For the safety of our employees, the contractors/vendors we work with, and the public we serve, OPB has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy and all employees are required to show proof of vaccination.
How to Apply
For application instructions, please visit OPB's careers page. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on January 16, 2023.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.