Weekend Edition Host
Application instructions for this and all current OPB employment opportunities are available at OPB's careers page.
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
Are you a reporter who gets excited by the idea of hosting a show? Or are you a host who is eager to produce your own content? This may be the job for you!
We’re seeking a skilled journalist to host our Weekend Edition OPB radio show. This is a unique opportunity, as the Weekend Edition Host you’ll not only host, but will also create your own content. You’ll report, produce, and host! This position allows you to exercise your creative flow, we’re nimble and seek to offer flexibility in the creative process for journalist to do their best work. The Weekend Edition Host will play an integral role in selecting stories that matter to the residents of the Pacific Northwest, as well as how to go about telling them, be that a feature, or QA. We’re open to experimentation!
The Weekend Edition Host is a dynamic, engaged journalist, who informs OPB’s Weekend Edition and all its elements. This position maintains the highest standards of honesty, integrity, impartiality and conduct in on-air work and performance of other duties on behalf of OPB. The Host actively designs each program’s content, updates listeners with news headlines and weather and monitors the flow of news from week to weekend. This position regularly produces and hosts local content for both broadcast and digital platforms, including social media. This is an active role requiring an engaged individual dedicated to being part of a successful news organization.
60% The Weekend Edition Host is a trusted guide/news source.
- Prepare and deliver program continuity as a host.
- Locate opportunities and edit Weekend Edition and other program rundowns to include OPB content, in keeping with OPB’s directives.
- Respond to issues related to broadcast audio/content.
- Respond to breaking news and special coverage as directed. Follow OPB’s process for breaking news.
- Monitor broadcast during shift.
- Assure compliance with FCC requirements during broadcast shift.
- Respond to emergency and technical situations during shift. Activate EAS when necessary.
- Researches, selects, conducts live and taped interviews for local Weekend Edition segments. Reads widely and interacts with OPB’s community in order to research subject matter for the program.
- Produce content for broadcast and digital that consistently meets deadlines, as well as the organization’s editorial, ethical, technical, legal and aesthetic standards. Adhere to accounting department payment and collection procedures.
- Prepare hourly newscasts, news headlines, weather and traffic (when appropriate).5% - Participate in marketing and action plans, including use of rating research and software, and development and preparation of presentation materials.
- Operate/interact with digital broadcast board and other broadcast equipment, including automation system. (when needed)
- Shape WE and midday programs during membership drives with input from identified staff.
- Serve as a vital team member during membership drives both as a host and as a pitcher.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Host/Producer’s schedule is Wednesdays-Fridays 8a-5p and Saturdays and Sundays 4:30a-1:30p (all shifts include a one-hour lunch break). Most work is done in an office, studio or other indoor location using office, production and/or broadcast equipment.
- Experience in journalism or related field.
- Experience in broadcast news, with at least some on-air experience as a program host or news anchor.
- Working understanding of journalism ethics and best practices.
- Experience with editorial decisions in newscast production.
- Demonstrated professional, public radio style delivery as a host or reporter.
- Demonstrated versatile on-air skills in a live setting.
- Interviewing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use digital audio recording and editing equipment.
- Ability to handle newscasts and continuity breaks within a program clock.
- Ability to maintain high standards of honesty, integrity, impartiality and conduct in on- air work and performance of other duties.
- Excellent writing and listening skills; ability to write clean copy in AP style.
- Ability to make appropriate decisions under stress.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Demonstrated ability to work within deadlines.
- Experience operating broadcast audio equipment.
- Technology savvy. Familiarity with collaborative tools, social media tools and
experience using content management systems to update internal and external
- Familiarity with and ability to participate in social media associated with OPB (including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and others).
- Degree in journalism.
- Knowledge of major stories and issues in the Northwest.
- Experience interviewing in a public setting.
- Ability to acquire or produce material suitable for online distribution, including photos, video and text.
- Experience with public speaking.
- This position reports to the Executive Editor of Talk and Podcasts and is benefits eligible
- The probable hiring range for this exempt position is between $65,000 - $80,600 annually, depending on qualifications
- For the safety of our employees, the contractors/vendors we work with, and the public we serve, OPB has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy and all employees are required to show proof of vaccination.
How to Apply
For application instructions, please visit OPB's careers page. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on January 4, 2023.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.