Knight Foundation is seeking a tech-focused, visionary and impact-oriented leader to oversee investments, partnerships and a network of people and projects at the intersection of technology, journalism products and news media. As the director, using your knowledge of the business of journalism, you will be charged with recognizing emerging trends, such as artificial intelligence, blockchains and other technologies that can either advance or undermine journalism. You are responsible for developing and leading ground-breaking initiatives that result in innovative forms of news creation, distribution, engagement and consumption.
The position is based in Miami and you will report to the vice president of journalism.
- Developing an active network of diverse experts (technologists, product specialists, entrepreneurs and researchers) who will support the foundation’s mission to drive journalism sustainability and innovation.
- Sourcing, developing and managing a multimillion-dollar portfolio of innovative projects for Knight Foundation to fund.
- Evangelizing emerging and existing technologies and media consumption models that can be replicated and sustained to better inform communities.
- Partnering with Knight Foundation’s learning and impact team to measure the impact of initiatives, inform strategy and improve results.
- Representing Knight Foundation at local and national forums.
Things we look for in a successful candidate:
- Insightful and innovative leader who possesses strong business acumen and a risk-taking mindset.
- Experience at the forefront of emerging technologies, including UX/design, data, artificial intelligence, blockchain and VR/AR/MR.
- A proven track record of implementing technologies and products that transform how people are informed and engaged.
- Adept at building relationships and influencing individual stakeholders and the broader technology community.
- Understanding of journalism – preferably with experience inside news organizations.
Knight Foundation is a national foundation with strong local roots. We invest in journalism, in the arts, and in the success of cities where brothers John S. and James L. Knight once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy.
Our approach is inclusive and non-partisan; we value freedoms of speech and the press, and we often embrace new and innovative technology to achieve our goals. The qualities we look for are openness to new ideas; courage to push for change; and the expertise and tenacity to achieve the desired results. Tell us what excites you about this opportunity and why you are right for it.