Stateline seeks an enthusiastic enterprise reporter to pursue groundbreaking in-depth features and investigative work on state policy matters. This position is part of a team of writers and editors who cover state policy, with an emphasis on how different states are grappling with the same challenges and broad trends that might be invisible to readers in individual states. Our stories are regularly republished in national and regional news outlets.
The reporter's beats are flexible, but may include issues of race and equity in rural areas, cities and states, with a focus on criminal justice, housing, education, and other areas in which racial disparities are prevalent. The ideal candidates will have at least four years' journalism experience, possess the ability to generate meaningful story ideas, enjoy working with a team, and be eager to help fill the gaps in important state policy coverage.
We expect to fill two reporter positions from this announcement. One will be based in Texas, and one will be based in Pew's Washington, D.C., office or in the Midwestern United States. Our reporters travel regularly within the United States, though travel has been curtailed during the pandemic.
- Generate strong story ideas.
- Produce groundbreaking in-depth features and investigative work that clearly demonstrates the practical effects of state policy decisions.
- Demonstrate expertise on assigned state policy issues and develop a wide array of contacts on assigned beat.
- Identify data or content for multimedia and data-driven stories.
- Use social media to promote individual stories and boost Stateline's readership.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required.
• At least four years of applicable journalism experience.
• Engaging writing style and experience writing in-depth stories.
• Ability to connect policy decisions to readers' lives.
• Demonstrated knowledge of state and federal government.
• Demonstrated ability to generate strong story ideas.
• Ability to meet deadlines and ensure accuracy. Command of Associated Press style.
• Spanish language proficiency is not required but would be a plus.
• Ability to think strategically, creatively, juggle multiple priorities, adjust to changing circumstances, organize time efficiently, stay attentive to details, and identify resources for projects.
• Ability to work in a creative, fast-paced culture that emphasizes excellence, collegiality, and teamwork. Accustomed to working as a member of a team and individually to meet goals.
This position requires occasional travel to meetings and conferences.
We offer a competitive salary and benefit program, including: comprehensive, affordable health care through medical, dental, and vision coverage; financial security with life and disability insurance; opportunities to save using health savings and flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits to help prepare for the future; and work/life benefits to maintain a good balance.
The Pew Charitable Trusts is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/6eWqJ2CrljdqCM7aSO8MX