Consumer Reports, one of the world's most influential mission-driven testing and media organizations, reaches more than 15 million unique visitors through CR.org every month.
CR is looking for an enthusiastic and creative reporter/writer who can develop highly engaging content on a variety of topics related to the home. As a staff writer on CR's Home & Appliance team, your work will leverage the product testing and expertise CR is famous for on CR.org and other platforms.
You will deliver high-impact service to readers by combining your reporting and packaging with the data and expertise from CR's labs, surveys, and more to produce original and enterprising content and grow and diversify our audience across multiple platforms.
We've been reporting on critical consumer issues since 1936, and this work matters now more than ever.
- Working closely with Home team editors, writers, and other stakeholders, you will cover a wide range of topics that pertain to home and kitchen products, home maintenance, sustainability, and more. Topics we cover range from the best mattresses of the year and buying a home for the first time to whether steam mops kill the coronavirus or how to load a blender for the smoothest smoothie.
- Follow the news as it relates to the beats and products you cover; interview internal and external experts; track market trends; translate industry data into compelling stories that will help readers.
- Tap into CR's numerous resources including testing, survey, and statistics operations to source ideas, analyze data, and produce stories.
- Research, pitch, report, write, and oversee home content to be published across a variety of platforms, partnering with members of other departments—data visualization, art, video, social media—to create compelling stories and packages.
- Serve as a key member of a cross-functional product-testing and content team.
- Act as an in-house home spokesperson or representative for external media requests, as well as on-camera subject matter expert for CR video platforms.
- Meet weekly digital article production targets
- You have a genuine interest in a variety of topics related to the home.
- You're a self-starter who can work independently as well as collaboratively.
- You have a passion for and experience with service journalism; you're enthusiastic about helping readers make informed choices and getting them the information they need to make the most of their home, keep their family safe, and spend their money wisely.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, multi-faceted environment (you will be working on multiple projects at once, likely across multiple platforms).
- You're organized and detail-oriented.
- You have a bachelor's degree or equivalent with experience writing, reporting, or editing.