Deputy Managing Editor
WBUR, Boston’s NPR news station, is a public media organization committed to exceptional journalism and deep civic engagement — providing news, analysis and entertainment on air, online at wbur.org, on demand and on stage. WBUR is the home of national programs Here & Now and On Point, reaching millions of listeners each week on more than 500 public radio stations nationwide. The WBUR iLab produces popular podcasts including Circle Round ?and Endless Thread. WBUR serves its local community with the largest public radio newsroom in the country and with CitySpace a dynamic, new venue for civic discourse and cultural exchange.
The Deputy Managing Editor assigns, edits and supervises a team of reporters and works closely with other newsroom managers on developing and executing local news coverage. Reporting to the Managing Editor, the position requires a seasoned editor, able to lift reporters’ storycraft, on air and online, and to sharpen and expand reporting skills. We are looking for someone able to oversee all aspects of story production – from assignment to publication – on all platforms, i.e. someone who is just as comfortable writing a sharp headline as a compelling host intro. This person should be passionate about coaching reporters through the newsgathering and story development process, and eager to innovate in new forms of news storytelling.
- Assigns, guides and edits reporters on short, medium and long term projects that distinguish WBUR and meet station standards of excellence, online and on air.
- Edits both digital and radio stories, often simultaneously on tight deadlines.
- Edits other stories and special projects as assigned by the Managing Editor and Executive Editor, News.
- Works closely with Managing Editors, newscast and digital teams to strike a balance between breaking news and long-form enterprise reporting, on air and online.
- Direct supervision of several reporters, including political reporters and producers.
- Develops and oversees election and political coverage that distinguishes WBUR in a competitive news landscape. Coordinates with Managing Producer on live election broadcasts and other politics-related special coverage.
- Helps oversee daily news budgets, in coordination with Managing Editors, Managing Producer, and Executive Editors of News and Digital.
- Occasionally assumes the duties of Managing Editor.
- 8+ years experience in journalism.
- 3+ years editing, managing and supervising reporters.
- Experience editing complex, high-impact stories on multiple platforms.
- Able to juggle long-term, original reporting projects, as well as rapid breaking news coverage, and to oversee several assignments at once.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills.
- Able to set standards of excellence and to help reporters and editors meet them, providing regular, constructive feedback.
- Exceptional collaborative and team building skills, with the capacity to build diverse and inclusive environments.
- Able to assess quickly developing scenarios and break them down into clear action steps.
Highly competitive compensation package. Comprehensive health package and retirement benefits. Boston University holds the station license.
To apply: email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Boston University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.