Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 and the digital service Atlanta PlanIt. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org
Public Broadcasting Atlanta is looking for a qualified candidate to create compelling news and feature content for its digital platforms and other news products. The Digital Writer/Editor/Producer will be responsible for proposing story ideas to and accepting assignments from news management, creating stories through writing and the inclusion of other media elements including audio, video, and images. The Digital Writer/Producer also will work with reporters and producers to create digital content complementary to radio news stories. The Digital Writer/Editor/Producer will work closely with the senior editor for digital and the managing editor of WABE News on daily assignments as well as long-range planning for PBA’s websites, social media, and other platforms.
Essential Duties Include:
- Write and produce daily news stories for use on WABE/PBA digital platforms
- Propose, conceive, and execute digital feature stories
- Manage the WABE website, editing and curating stories using digital tools for data, audio and visual effects and using analytics and latest best practices to make stories attractive to digital users.
- Collaborate with television, radio and digital staffs to adapt stories for web using best practices; training and assisting staff as needed.
- Work with news staff to adapt and create original content for the website.
- Explore new technologies and improve use of current technologies.
- Create and contribute content to increase and enhance PBA’s social media presence on current and emerging platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, YouTube etc.
- Document and verify the continued growth of PBA digital audience by tracking metrics using Google Analytics and other tools. Must understand the fundamentals of web analytics, types of traffic etc. and be able to act based on the analysis.
- Create multimedia presentations using photos, video, graphics, data visualization tools etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications, preferably with an emphasis on broadcasting or equivalent work experience.
- Two to three years of experience working in digital or broadcast journalism
- Experience with video and audio production tools, photography, social media. Web development experience is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics, Digital Content Management Systems (Word Press or similar software) and other web and Microsoft fundamentals.
- Impeccable news judgement and ethics
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with a creative team to solve problems and achieve common goals.
- The position requires working non-standard hours from time to time.
Work Environment & Physical Demands: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment. Exposure to outside elements during course of work to be expected to perform essential functions.
Submit resume, cover letter and examples of work to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications, preferably with an emphasis on broadcasting or equivalent work experience.
Two to three years of experience working in digital or broadcast journalism
Experience with video and audio production tools, photography, social media. Web development experience is a plus.
Working knowledge of Google Analytics, Digital Content Management Systems (Word Press or similar software) and other web and Microsoft fundamentals.
Impeccable news judgement and ethics
Excellent writing and editing skills
Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines
Ability to work collaboratively with a creative team to solve problems and achieve common goals.
The position requires working non-standard hours from time to time.