Opportunity: The News Director of WHQR Public Media will provide the vision and guidance for the station’s news coverage in all media. Together with the Station Manager, the News Director will determine News Department policy in light of the station’s overall mission, and ensure that news coverage and offerings reflect the highest standards of journalistic ethics, audio production, and public service.
The News Director will be responsible for programming and editorial quality and serve as managing editor for the department. He or she will produce original stories for the station, assign stories to others and work with newsmagazine and talk show hosts on story selection and delivery. By coaching, diligent supervision and hands-on examples, he or she will ensure that WHQR's standards of content and integrated NPR-style reporting are met. The position requires excellent writing and interviewing skills, conversational on-air delivery and the ability to host newsmagazines or talk shows when regular hosts are absent.
- Assign and edit reporters on a daily basis, overseeing the quality of news content from features and series to spots and breaking news
- Produce their own regular reporting as time allows
- Develop local news programming and enterprise stories
- Create, maintain and execute coverage plans for developing and breaking news
- Participate in planning sessions for CoastLine, WHQR’s local talk show
- Work on developing and executing regular, meaningful, and engaging news events throughout our listening area such as town hall meetings, debates, community forums, listening sessions, etc.
- Represent the news division as required at board meetings and other presentations
- Attend major donor and public events, regularly participate in on-air fundraising
- Serve as a backup host for newsmagazines and CoastLine when regular hosts are absent
- Direct development and maintenance of applicable web, podcast and social media-based news content