Who We Are:
Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is one of the nation's premier public radio stations producing programming for radio, digital and live audiences and operates a 46-station radio network serving nearly all of Minnesota and parts of surrounding states. Reaching 1 million listeners each week, MPR and its three regional services 'MPR News, Classical MPR and The Current' produce programming for radio, digital and live audiences.
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media's 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California.
Do you have a passion for connecting with people through social feeds? Do you think discrimination is silencing too many people from speaking openly about their mental health? You can help lead the conversation about mental health! Call To Mind is a five-year mental health media initiative looking for you to step up to an essential role in our growing team. Our mission is to foster new conversations about mental health, and we want you to lead that conversation online. This includes storytelling and personal vignettes, sharing facts, staying on top of breaking news, crowd sourcing ideas and topics to cover, amplifying APM|MPR|SCPR content, amplifying other media and information related to mental health, and shaping the language people use to talk about mental health.
You will be working with the best, national award-winning creators in public media, and that's just the beginning. APM|MPR|SCPR programs reach more than 20 million radio listeners each week and more than 12 million podcast downloaders per month through our content networks. We hope to build on our existing reach to find new audiences craving safe spaces to talk about mental health online - through our website, newsletter, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and emerging social media.
As the Associate Digital Producer you will work closely with the Call To Mind team and other APM|MPR|SCPR digital producers, and will report directly to the Call To Mind Content Manager. Additionally, you will need to work collaboratively with APM|MPR|SCPR colleagues and external content partners.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Strategize, create, curate, and share text/audio/photo/video/graphic content on social and online platforms.
- Produce and optimize mobile-first content for maximum engagement and shareability.
- Monitor conversations across platforms to increase impact and traffic.
- Seek subjects and topics for content, routinely pitch digital content ideas.
- Day-to-day maintenance and community engagement via social media accounts.
- Routine content maintenance of CallToMindNow.org.
- Contribute to Call To Mind newsletter creation and distribution.
- Collaborate with Call To Mind Content Manager and content partners for strategic execution of online/social campaigns.
- Collaborate with Call To Mind Marketing Manager about communication strategy and engagement.
- Help coordinate content acquisition and publication permissions from creators and publishers.
- Stay up-to-date and ahead of the curve on social media and mental health best practices.
- Use audience metric data to inform how and when posts are published.
- Help develop digital production workflows.
- Create content with a critical eye for detail, clarity, style, grammar, Call To Mind tone.
- Cultivate conversations between our audiences and content partners.
- Check work for accuracy, browser, and platform compatibility.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment, and remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
- Ability to move about in various community, outdoor settings
- Required to operate a computer, mobile devices, audio/photo/video and other office equipment.
- Ability to assist in moving and positioning standard audio/visual and event display equipment
- Flexible schedule during busy periods, occasional evening and weekend work duties.
- Moderate noise level.
- Potential travel related to projects.
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree, relevant certifications, or equivalent work experience.
3+ years web/digital content production, or related work experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Demonstrated knowledge and/or interest in mental health, health, social welfare, and/or related issues.
Proven ability to work across a diverse range of people and communities; strong sense of cultural intelligence.
Fluency digital content production tools.
Familiarity with content management systems.
Experience with creating, editing photo/video content and graphics.
Demonstrated expertise in learning new software applications and mobile apps.
Compelling headline writing, social media post composition.
Strong awareness of online, social media, mental health best practices.
Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with colleagues across multiple departments/divisions/organizations/companies.
Strong editorial judgement, attention to detail.
Demonstrated professional research skills.
Proven ability to meet deadlines and prioritize between concurrent short and long-term projects.
Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
Superior communication, organizational and collaborative skills.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
Fluency in spoken & written Spanish, Somali, and/or Hmong.
Experience in digital audio production.