The Seattle Times, the Pulitzer Prize-winning media company, is hiring for a Business Reporter to cover the technology beat. Candidates should have strong writing skills and a proven ability to deliver sharp and wide-ranging stories that can appear regularly on A1, the Business section cover and in other forms online and in print. Candidates should be experienced with financial documents, have an understanding of technology and business strategy, and be able to break through PR happy talk. Candidates also should be skilled at anticipating events and putting together stories that connect the dots and explain to our readers why these events are important.
- Cover a wide range of technology news and enterprise stories, from Microsoft and the local operations of other leading tech companies to activity at venture-funded startups.
- Investigate and report workplace issues that intersect with tech, including the gig economy, immigrant visa policies, and gender issues at tech firms.
- Research, report, and write about the culture of the tech world and how that is changing Seattle.
- Experience: Minimum three years’ work experience as a journalist.
- Education: College degree, or equivalent combination of education and/or professional experience.
- Adept at social media, familiar with digital story-telling skills, and accustomed to measuring and interpreting analytics.
- Able to travel as necessary.
This position requires union-mandated dues, as well as a drug screen, criminal background check, and personal car insurance (and driver’s license) as conditions of employment on a post-offer basis.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.8 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.
Resume and attachments over 10 MB per file cannot be accepted.