The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks a politics and state government reporter to work in its Little Rock, Arkansas, bureau as a temporary newsperson for 25 weeks.
Reporting to the Arkansas/Texas/Oklahoma news editor, this newsperson will cover political and government news, seeking to consistently break news and produce distinct enterprise. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who can generate ideas on their beat that resonate in the state, the U.S. and around the world. The successful candidate will be comfortable working in multiple media formats, and will work with the news editor to set the beat's agenda. This newsperson must have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- Work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot news and enterprise coverage that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP, with a strong focus on accountability journalism.
- Have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- Have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- Pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
This newsperson must have the ability to cover spot news and produce enterprise stories on the state government beat. Applicants must be able to explain complex stories in clear and compelling ways, and do so swiftly and accurately on tight deadlines. The successful candidate must be able to work effectively as a member of a team, and should have some experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English.
- Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats.
- Demonstrated aggressive use of public records and computer-assisted reporting experience is a plus.
Application Deadline: 01/16/2019 @ 11:59 PM EST
To apply, for this position, please visit https://careers.ap.org/job/Little-Rock-Temporary-Newsperson-AR-72201/525423100/
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.