CPR News is looking for an insightful, energized and experienced manager to join its News leadership team as a Topics Editor. The Topics Editor generates radio features and newscast spots, and innovative digital storytelling from our experienced reporters in Health, Education, Environment and Business beats. The ideal candidate will have experience generating engaging content across multiple platforms and be able to inspire the team’s reporters to even greater storytelling.
- Manages and directs beat reporters to provide consistent content, making the best use of radio and digital-first material.
- Assigns and edits radio features, newscast spots and digital content related to Health, Education, Environment and Business, paying attention to newsroom coverage standards and productivity goals.
- Evaluates features and daily news spots after they air/publish, and works with reporters to improve their reporting techniques and storytelling as appropriate.
- Ensures reporters are focusing on significant topics that support the overall direction of CPR News and meet our standards for journalistic excellence.
- Sets and manages deadlines for this content, taking into account digital needs, and communicating fully with the newsroom.
- Coordinates with CPR News’ interview program, Colorado Matters, to arrange reporter contributions to the show.
- Prepares and shares beat area monthly coverage storytelling plans with editorial team, and suggests daily news items in daily editorial meetings.
- Coaches reporters on creative ways to tell stories on radio and digital; sets goals with staff and makes sure professional development needs are met.
- As part of the News leadership team, contributes to strategy and direction of CPR News.
Non-standard working hours guaranteed. On call as needed and accountable for establishing backup on-call staff when unavailable.
View the full job description.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, three professional references, and salary expectations to email@example.com with "Topics Editor" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits. Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.