The Newsday.com News Editor helps run the homepage and mobile fronts at one of the nation's leading newspaper, located in the New York metropolitan area.
The News Editor also takes a leading role in finding opportunities to grow Long Island audiences and engagement by identifying potentially underserved segments of the community, creating digital content and shaping our strategies.
- Runs day-to-day programming and breaking news coverage
- Oversees web producers and interns
- Closely monitors and analyzes metrics, audience data and other media websites
- Creates compelling multimedia stories and projects
- Works with editors, photographers, videographers and other staff across department lines to coordinate digital coverage
- Represents the digital team in daily and other meetings
- Helps develop and implement strategies to improve site design and usability to grow subscribers
- In time, helps develop and oversee digital projects such as those found at newsday.com/data
- This position requires working one weekend day
Our ideal candidate has:
- Managed a news website, homepage or section front
- Strong news judgment and breaking news experience
- A commitment to a high standard of journalism with a keen attention to detail
- The ability to work quickly, accurately, juggle a variety of tasks and stay calm under pressure
- A track record of creating compelling online content and meeting metrics goals
- Excellent managerial and communication skills
- Solid copy editing and writing skills
- Knowledge of social media, HTML, photo editing, mobile apps and the latest news practices
Experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree and three to five years of newsroom web producing experience.
- Worked with a web publishing content management system.
- Familiar with Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics or other metrics platforms.
- Reliable transportation to and from Newsday’s suburban Melville office.
-The person in this position needs to occasionally move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
-Ability to utilize a computer keyboard, computer monitor, and telephone for prolonged periods of time.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.