POSITION: Operations Technician DEPARTMENT: Operations
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Hourly
LOCATION: Rye Brook, New York
At RNN we put a premium on teamwork as well as personal integrity and accountability. The operations technician is responsible for incoming broadcasts from field reporters and various 3rd party clients. He or she will also be accountable for ingesting files/tapes/recordings into play-out server while monitoring and assessing video/audio/data quality. Thinking critically and creatively for both troubleshooting and problem resolution in a fast-paced, frequently changing, live television operation is a must. The position requires constant collaboration among various groups and departments, necessitating an excellent professional demeanor and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate should be able to multitask as well as prioritize daily assignments.
- Coordinate receipt and processing of all inbound feeds via: Satellite, Live U, ABC News ONE, and Encompass.
- Monitor ABC News One voice alerts with the directed understanding to: Alert Editorial staff and record as needed.
- Record, Ingest, and QC of broadcast material into multiple broadcast video server systems coming in via SNG truck, Reporters Live U’s, SKYPE interviews and other contribution feeds available to the RNN New production team.
- Transfer and quality control files for proper levels, closed captioning, in/out marks. Bring any issues to the attention to appropriate department.
- Use internal FTP site to insert promotions directly into broadcast servers.
<>·Archive media assets into storage archive.
<>·Submission of a shift report detailing on-air activity (listing all the successful feeds completed, documenting all errors and/or discrepancies encountered, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
MUST BE OPEN TO WORKING NIGHTS, OVERNIGHTS AND WEEKENDS AS A STANDARD SHIFT
MUST BE OPEN TO WORKING HOLIDAYS
MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR OVERTIME AND ABLE TO COVER BREAKING NEWS AND STORM COVERAGE
- Strong communication and multitasking skills with professional attitude that can effectively support Field Reporters and New Production crews with ingesting/recording inbound live and pre-recorded feeds from remote field production teams and other venues.
- Operation of broadcast routing switchers; configure patch bays for video signal routing, effectively use broadcast test equipment such as waveform monitors, vector scopes, Closed Caption encoders & decoder, MPEG and spectrum analyzers.
- Configure and calibrate Frame Synchronizers, Up/down/cross converters, and IRD’s, tune down-link antennas for supporting RNN’s day to day News production work load.
- Familiarity with file based media work flows including Broadcast ingest/encoding, media asset management systems and broadcast automation systems would be a plus.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS:
- This position requires meticulous detail with the ability to multi task and communicate effectively to clients and internal employees at all levels of management. Problem solving and thinking “outside the box” is a must for this position as it will enable the coordinator to integrate last minute changes and corrections, maximizing the daily revenue.
- Strict attention to detail and organizational skills are imperative for this position, as is the ability to multi-task and operate in a fast paced, ever-changing atmosphere. Effective communication skills and the ability to be coached are a must.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma is required. College degree preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to understand complex media workflows.
- Working knowledge of file codecs and formats is preferred.
- Ability to write clear, concise business correspondence, reports, and procedures.
Potential candidates must be willing to work in a flexible and fast moving work environment and open to covering nights, weekends, working overtime and holidays. Clearly the ability to work well under pressure and work within a team environment is a given. Lastly proficient and up to date computer skills are a core requirement. High School diploma is required and College degree in a broadcast related field will make you a stronger candidate.