Colorado Public Radio seeks a creative and enterprising producer/reporter/host for Colorado Matters, its flagship daily live news interview program. On Colorado Matters, the sky is the limit when it comes to storytelling. We do 1-on-1 interviews and panel discussions in our studio, but we also get out of the studio to make our segments sing with natural sound, a sense of place, and to connect with our community. We don’t just think in radio, we think in pictures and video and social media. You will be part of a daily collaboration where you can push your creativity in a way that is engaging and meaningful to our listeners. This position is a great mix of producing, weekly hosting, and occasional field work.
- Produce taped and live interviews on subjects about the state, generating ideas and accepting assignments from Executive Producer.
- Write web stories and social media engagement for interviews you produce.
- Report feature stories and host shows and interviews as assigned. Work with producers and thoroughly review background and scripts to prepare, conduct thoughtful, respectful, fair and conversational interviews with single or multiple guests, live and taped.
- Serve as host when Senior Host is away.
- Work with CPR’s fundraising team during pledge drives and in pre-recording material.
- Participate in short- and long-term planning with the rest of the Colorado Matters staff.
Knowledge and competencies:
Five-plus years of journalism experience required.
Hosting experience a must, preferably in public media.
Must have impeccable news judgment, high-level hosting, writing and editing skills, as well as the ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines.
Demonstrated ability to distill complex matters for a radio and digital audience.
Position is based in metro Denver and reports to the Executive Producer of Colorado Matters.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you heard about the opening, resume, three professional references, and salary expectations to email@example.com with "CM Producer/Reporter/Host" in the subject line. Please also submit links to or attach files of three of your best interviews or reported pieces - both audio and written samples preferred - and any social media engagement efforts directly attributable to you if applicable.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits. Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.