We’re seeking experienced breaking news reporters to work at NBC News Digital in New York and in Los Angeles.
In this position, you will be on a team of breaking news reporters and editors working a dayside, afternoon, nightside or weekend shift. The role of the team is to cover a wide variety of breaking news stories as they happen — including natural disasters, crime, lawsuits, cultural events, celebrity news, science developments and health studies, business news, and viral social media posts. (Politics stories will be handled by a separate team.)
The right candidate will be adept at handling a variety of breaking news stories and have experience working under extremely tight deadlines in a high-pressure atmosphere. As a breaking news reporter, you’ll be ready to file within minutes of a major breaking story, matching your style to the topic and keeping your cool throughout. Once an initial story is published, you’ll be prepared to rapidly update the story while recognizing information still needs to thoroughly vetted.
You’ll make sure that the stories you’re writing have the best photos, videos and other elements to provide context to a reader as a story is developing. The position will report to the lead breaking news editor.
• Actively monitor sources of breaking news (Dataminr, Twitter, wires, internal communications) and be prepared to jump on news seconds after it happens.
• Expertise writing SEO headlines.
• Writing clean, fast and accurate copy, headlines and photo and video captions.
• Communicating with a team of other reporters and editors.
• Make full use of the range of NBC News resources, including network newsgathering and multimedia.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• At least 2 years covering breaking news for a newspaper, magazine or website, preferably an online publication.
• Willingness to work on an afternoon, evening, night or weekend shift in either New York or Los Angeles.
• Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment.
• Must be a skilled reporter with outstanding communication skills.
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered.