Princeton University seeks an experienced communicator to become director of media relations in the Office of Communications. In this role, the director will advance the University’s mission by developing and executing a comprehensive media strategy encompassing campus, local, national and international media, and serve frequently as a University spokesperson.
The director should demonstrate highly developed levels of integrity, accuracy, diplomacy, intellect, diligence, discretion and communication and decision-making skills. The director should also have a proven record of on-the-record experience with media, crisis communications skills and a background in communications planning. The director keeps supervisors and other key campus members informed and solicits appropriate input before acting. The director employs excellent writing and editing skills, and speaks with confidence, poise and discretion to individuals and to groups in a variety of settings.
- Serving as a University spokesperson, responding to media inquiries and sharing information pro-actively with journalists
- Developing and executing a comprehensive media strategy encompassing campus, local, national and international media
- Providing strategic analysis and expert consultation, training and advice on University media relations, including to senior leadership
- Cultivating international, national, local and on-campus media relationships that reflect the diversity of the University community and its key audiences
- Overseeing the tracking of media reports on the University, its students, faculty and staff
- Coordinating media access to campus and providing media management for special events
- A minimum of 7 years' experience in media affairs in a professional communications environment and/or 7 years’ experience as a journalist.
- Strong on-the-record experience with print, digital and broadcast media. Experience managing teams.
- Experience counseling executive-level leaders on media-related issues.
- Experience in crisis communications.
- Experience in higher education is a plus.
- Familiarity with Princeton University is a plus.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS