Application instructions for this and all current OPB employment opportunities are available at OPB's careers page.
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
We’re hiring a Podcast Host/Producer to join our newly formed Talk and Podcast department. This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in the launch of OPB’s new weekly podcast. The podcast will feature a variety of topics specific to OPB content. As the Podcast Host you’ll interview OPB content creators and reporters. Your innate curiosity, desire to share interesting stories and engage with our audience will be critical in providing our listenership with content that connects them to our region.
This is a perfect opportunity for someone who is currently a Host, or a Producer seeking to move into a hosting role. Ideally the Podcast Host will also either possess or have a willingness to grow their editing skills in the future as the position evolves. While we are interested in someone who is creative and can bring their engaging personality into the work, the Podcast Host will uplift the work of their talented colleagues at OPB rather than creating their own podcast content. Must have a digital first mindset and be an active user of social media for the purposes of their work. We’re seeking someone who enjoys working on a new challenge and thrives on collaborating with others. The Podcast Host will be the 3rd to join the podcast department. You’ll partner with our Executive Editor of Talk and Podcast and the other Podcast Producers to help craft a vision for how we move this work forward.
The Podcast Host Producer hosts a weekly OPB podcast highlighting the work of content producers throughout OPB. The Host Producer will be an integral in connecting the show to the audience. Host Producer writes script to introduce produced segments and questions for segments that require conversations with OPB journalists. Host Producer also works with the podcast producers and Executive Editor of Talk and Podcasts to steer podcasts, documentaries and other audio products from reporting to story scripting and presentation, to powerful use of sound. The Host Producer knows what makes a good story, understands the logistical steps to make it happen, and uses their voice to bring it to life.
· 65% - Host a weekly OPB podcast highlighting the work of content producers throughout OPB. Write and voice script to introduce produced segments. Write and voice script and questions for segments that require conversations with OPB journalists. Collaborate with OPB’s Audience Engagement team to interact with the audience. Work with the other podcast producers, Audio Engineers and Executive Editor of Talk and Podcasts to edit, produce, and finalize each week’s show. The host position will be a high-profile position, so this person will also be a responsible, informed ambassador for OPB, and must be comfortable in a public role..
· 25% - Guide longform storytelling for 1-3 serial podcast projects/year -- including feedback on reporting plans, managing production calendar, scheduling guest interviews, writing multiple script drafts and mixes, researching and fact-checking scripts. Foster and participate an inclusive and collaborative environment. Work with outside talent and reporters on developing new longform audio products as opportunities arise.
· 5% - Pitch, pilot and produce new stories and projects..
· 5% - Other duties, as assigned.
Most work is done in an office, studio or other indoor location. Some travel in-state and nationally may be necessary. Lifting or carrying equipment may be required. Extended periods of sitting and standing may be necessary. The work requires, working evenings, weekends and/or starting the work day early, and occasional travel to remote locations and possibly working in inclement weather..
· This position reports to Executive Editor, Talk and Podcast and is benefits eligible
· The probable hiring range for this exempt position is between $70,000 and $80,000 annually depending on qualifications.
· For the safety of our employees, the contractors/vendors we work with, and the public we serve, OPB has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy and all employees are required to show proof of vaccination.
How to Apply
For application instructions, please visit OPB's careers page. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on August 23, 2023
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.