Diversity & Inclusion are at the core of our mission to strengthen and empower the communities we serve.
NJ Advance Media, which produces content for NJ.com and the Star-Ledger, has an exciting opportunity for a breaking news reporter focused on public safety coverage with urgency and impact.
We're seeking a candidate who can thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment with the ability to juggle multiple assignments and report with immediacy and accuracy on the major public safety stories of the day.
You'd be joining the newsroom's largest team of reporters and working side-by-side with a friendly, dedicated and ambitious group of reporters and editors with decades of experience covering New Jersey from every angle.
For this position, we are looking for a candidate with:
- A degree in journalism or communications, or equivalent education and work experience with a proven ability in journalism reporting and writing
- A minimum of one year in journalism with a proven ability in reporting and writing required.
- Experience in breaking news, public safety and court reporting, as well as search engine optimization is preferred.
- An ability to cultivate sources to break news and drive coverage that differentiates our organization from competitors
- An ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- A sound understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Experience using social media to find stories and promote content
- Ability to work remotely.
- Availability to work weekends, some holidays and occasional irregular hours to meet the needs of the breaking news staffing.