The Boston Globe is looking for a smart, creative reporter to cover media, in the broadest sense of the word.
Part tech beat, part culture writing, part buzzy local scoops, this job calls for a journalist who’s eager and able to explore the many ways that media shapes modern life, in Boston and beyond. They will cover our region's advertising and publishing industries and keep an eye on the bold-faced names of local TV, yes. But they’ll also dive into the endless evolution of social media, debates over digital privacy, and the roiling challenges of misinformation in all its forms, from Twitter and Threads to TikTok and new platforms using artificial intelligence.
This reporter will help readers make sense of all these modern woes and tell stories about people and companies in New England that are trying to save us from ourselves (and also profit from us).
We’re looking for a versatile and digital-savvy reporter who is (at least) two steps ahead of the rest of us when it comes to figuring out how people consume and share information - and what that means - and is able to turn big ideas into concrete, digestible stories. If that’s you, we’d love to hear from you, and we’ll tell you all about the smart, collaborative, and growing Business team that you’d be a part of.
- Produce a steady diet of stories on the modern media landscape, everything from quick-turn analysis of the news of the day to deeply reported enterprise that will stand among the Globe’s best work.
- Develop a wide base of sources who can help you break news on the local and national media landscape, and who can provide fresh insight into the latest trends in social media and misinformation.
- Be able to write under tight deadlines, but also know when to take a beat, because sometimes an extra day of reporting can be the difference between a good story and a great one.
- Collaborate with a wide range of colleagues, both in Business and across the newsroom - including Data Visualization, Audience Engagement, and even our in-house TV show, Boston Globe Today, to maximize the reach and impact of your stories.
- 5+ years writing for a major publication. Experience covering media, social media, or misinformation is a plus but not a requirement.
- Ability to produce clean, compelling copy on deadline, while also having the writing skills to elevate good stories into great ones.
- Be adaptable and enterprising, someone who connects dots others don’t and brings their own stories and ideas to the table.
- A collegial spirit. We play a team sport.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild