Crain’s Detroit Business seeks an enterprising reporter to cover banking and finance as well as the vibrant and emerging tech and startup economy in Southeast Michigan.
The right candidate will know how to find relevant stories that connect with our audience, including in-depth enterprise, explanatory pieces as well as breaking news and quick follows.
We are a digital-first newsroom that listens to and serves our audience with the high-quality journalism they demand. Our award-winning news team is collaborative, collegial and has high standards. During this historic era of financial and technological change in the economy, and especially in Detroit, this reporter will relish in telling some of the most compelling stories of our time.
You can expect to:
- Develop sources, report enterprise and break news for Crain’s multiple platforms
- Contribute daily news items for morning and afternoon newsletters
- Use analytics tools to identify how stories are performing; work with editors on best SEO practices
- Help plan content for, and participate in, Crain events and programming
- Shoot photos and video as needed
Basic Qualifications and Preferences
We seek a curious reporter with a can-do attitude who will dig deep to develop the robust sources necessary to cover these vital topics. We require a self-starter who can cultivate sources, develop their own story ideas, and write authoritatively. A collaborative attitude, ability to multitask and fluency with social media and basic analytics are a must.
The ideal candidate will have an audience-first mindset and an ability to identify, report and write compelling stories on the topics assigned.
- At least three years of experience in a digital-focused newsroom, including reporting, editing or producing (or as a freelancer)
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field
- Skilled at generating story ideas, writing cleanly and quickly, developing sources, breaking news, and working quickly with minimum supervision
- Ability to write engaging headlines
- Basic data journalism skills/familiarity with Excel
- Ability to juggle multiple responsibilities
- Understanding of financial and business terminology
- Ability to work in the newsroom during standard office hours and as needed outside of those hours
- Portfolio / examples of recent and relevant work
This full-time position will require work in Detroit and Southeast Michigan, and occasional night and weekend work. We offer excellent pay and benefits, as well as opportunities to advance.
This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and is not eligible for overtime pay.
Pay Transparency Disclosure:
The estimated salary range for this position is $50,000 to $75,000.