Inside Higher Ed, the leading source for news, analysis, and services for the world of higher education, is seeking an enterprising, curious reporter to join its team of talented journalists. The general assignment reporter will cover a plethora of issues at a time of great tumult for colleges and their students, including diversity and equity, enrollment, and colleges’ efforts to survive and thrive, to name a few.
Inside Higher Ed engages in authoritative journalism that combines breaking news, enterprise, and analysis. Our audience depends on us to help them understand not only what's happening but why it matters (or should). Our reporters mix beat reporting, analysis, and creative storytelling approaches; candidates should be able to dig deep and juggle multiple articles at once. Inside Higher Ed publishes breaking news, features, commentary, blogs, and other content (including audio and video) each weekday. It has quickly established itself as an authoritative, independent voice for its 2.5 million unique monthly users and 290,000 e-mail subscribers.
Inside Higher Ed offers competitive pay, good benefits (including heavily subsidized health, dental, and life insurance premiums), and 18 days of paid time off. Centrally located in downtown D.C., hybrid work arrangements are possible. The salary range is $50,000-$60,000.
- Monitor the latest news, research, and issues that impact higher ed.
- Generate relevant and compelling story ideas that serve the needs of our readers.
- Write spot stories responding to news events and more extended pieces with more profound analysis.
- Deliver news that reflects a wide range of voices and perspectives.
- Reporting and writing with accuracy, clarity, and speed.
- 3 + years as a professional news reporter
- Experience in a news organization
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work with a team in a friendly, collaborative culture
- Meeting deadlines in a fast-paced news environment
- A bachelor's degree in Journalism, Writing, or Communications
To help us evaluate your capabilities, please include a cover letter outlining your interest in this role and five clips showing your range and ability to clarify the complicated. Inside Higher Ed is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal-opportunity employer. We are unable to sponsor visa holders for this position. No contract opportunities are available. As an organization, Inside Higher Ed is committed to providing a safe work environment for all employees and visitors. Therefore, this position will require proof of complete COVID vaccination (the definition of full vaccination includes having received the COVID booster) before employment. This job is covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, CWA Local 32035.