WFYI Public Media is seeking a resourceful data journalist to focus on data-driven investigations that hold institutions of power accountable and reveal social, racial economic and other inequalities, as well as highlight solutions. This person must feel comfortable working in a team setting, supporting and training colleagues to grow their digital skills, communicating data findings and pitching data-inspired stories.
This is a new position, joining a news team of more than 20 journalists, editors and community engagement specialists and the Side Effects Public Media regional health reporting team. Together we aim to give more people information they can use to navigate life and address gaps in policies meant to serve everyone. Newsroom priorities include health, education, criminal justice, government and economic equity.
This position will require the selected candidate to either live in, or move to the state of Indiana, understanding that travel/commute time will be necessary.
- Search for, obtain, clean and analyze datasets.
- Collaborate with newsroom colleagues to find and analyze data that supports their investigations and enterprise reporting.
- Use data to create visualizations for your own and others’ reporting, including charts and graphics, that easily and meaningfully present complex information to a general audience.
- Tell impactful stories for broadcast, web and social media.
- Train colleagues to grow their digital and data skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- This reporter should have the demonstrated ability to lead and participate in data-driven investigations that hold institutions of power accountable and reveal social, racial, economic and other inequalities.
- Familiarity with spreadsheet software and programming languages such as SQL, Python or R, and mapping tools.
- Strong data visualization skills.
- Ability to conduct statistical analyses and explain data and statistics clearly in reporting.
- Understanding of public records law and experience requesting local, state and federal data.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Field recording, sound editing and studio production skills.
- Photography and video experience.
- Experience with community engagement-fueled journalism.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent work experience required.
- A minimum of three years of reporting experience, including a track record of research, writing and investigative reporting focused on policy.