American Libraries magazine, the flagship membership publication of the American Library Association, seeks a Senior Editor, Digital Content to join the editorial and production team that produces the magazine, Call Number podcast, American Libraries website, American Libraries Direct e-newsletter, and other media products.
Reporting to the Editor and Publisher, the Senior Editor of digital content will be responsible for:
- Managing digital media for American Libraries, including its website and e-newsletter content and social media activities.
- Creating, assigning, scheduling, posting, and troubleshooting written and visual content related to American Libraries’ digital products.
- Ensuring content is optimized for search and user experience, including accessibility.
- Engaging with followers through social media streams to address queries and concerns, build brand awareness, and strengthen member and nonmember engagement.
- Identifying key trends and issues of interest in the field and shaping them into appealing, coherent editorial story packages for digital and print.
- Developing editorial scopes, assigning stories, and editing, fact-checking, and proofreading copy in accordance with house style for digital and print.
- Meeting deadlines, including quick turnarounds for online and breaking stories.
- Reviewing, analyzing, and reporting digital metrics and recommendations to supervisor.
- Recruiting and working with freelance writers and other contributors.
- Contributing reporting as needed for Call Number podcast.
- Working with vendors on web hosting, support, and maintenance.
- Collaborating with colleagues to ensure content and processes are current with technological trends and advances while adhering to budget.
- Reporting at and representing American Libraries at conferences as needed.
This is a regular full-time position based in our Chicago office. ALA staff are currently working remotely due to the coronavirus pandemic. We will resume in-person work at ALA offices when it is safe to do so. Please note that although we have a generous telecommuting policy for our employees, we do not have any truly remote positions in states outside of our workplace sites.
ALA currently requires that employees be fully vaccinated as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Proof of vaccination will be required on or before start date.
All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Starting Salary: Negotiable from mid 60s, based on relevant experience. ALA offers a 35-hour work week, excellent benefit package including low-cost medical/dental insurance, retirement annuity and generous paid vacation. You may also qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF).
Apply online including a cover letter, résumé, and three writing and editing samples.
Send résumé, cover letter, and three writing/editing samples
American Library Association
The American Library Association is an equal opportunity employer: Disability/Veteran.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, or media
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as an editor for print and/or digital publishing outlet
- Strong technical abilities in the digital environment, including experience with content management systems
- Photoshop, InCopy, WordPress, and email marketing platform experience a plus
- Strong news judgment and ability to develop stories for both digital and print, including the ability to assess content quickly and accurately for appropriateness and interest
- Strong editing and proofreading skills required
- Excellent organizational skills
- Familiarity with libraries and pressing issues in the field
- Ability to multitask and exercise agility and flexibility with multiple deadlines
- Experience in tracking, evaluating, and reporting on digital metrics
- Knowledge of HTML, SEO, web metadata/accessibility standards like WCAG, web navigation and user experience
- MLIS degree a plus