GBH News seeks to inform, educate and enlighten our audience on both the news of the day and the news in historical context through in-depth, high quality journalism using the best tools and methods of the craft. GBH seeks always to report on and facilitate discussion of the news with integrity, fairness, balance, accuracy and civility, GBH News also seeks to tell the stories of and allow expression of the diversity of voices that make up our entire community.
Under the Radar with Callie Crossley is a one-hour, weekly radio public affairs program, produced by GBH News. It is the only talk show in Greater Boston, which curates news from hyper local newspapers and online community outlets in Boston and around the region, highlighting stories that are unknown or little discussed. When the program tackles stories that dominate the mainstream headlines, Under the Radar seeks viewpoints that are different and angles that expand the prevailing narrative. The program's goal is to elicit the “I didn’t know that" listener response. Under the Radar's mission is to present a wide spectrum of perspectives and voices offering expertise on the issues of the day, and contextual commentary about ongoing issues.
Under the Radar is seeking a Producer, reporting to the Host, to develop the overarching editorial agenda and guide the execution of the daily production tasks. The Producer will also manage the interns. In addition, the Producer is the external facing liaison to the GBH Newsroom and other GBH departments.
All show production takes place during regular work-week hours (9 AM-5 PM, Monday-Friday) in preparation for the show's Sunday airing at 6pm.
- Work collaboratively with the Host and Associate Producer of Under the Radar with Callie Crossley to generate editorial content for programs and interviews, pre-interview prospective guests.
- Write and edit segment scripts and promos, and prepare guests and Host for each program segment, as necessary.
- Directs the radio program. The Producer will also be responsible for communication with studio engineer and production director to coordinate tapings.
- Edits raw audio for radio program and assembles episodes for broadcast. Assists Associate Producer with pulling audio to use in tapings.
- Responsible for radio program’s calendar and upcoming content
- Oversee the Associate Producer in generating and moderating audience engagement through various social media platforms with the goal of broadly promoting Under the Radar with Callie Crossley.
- Participate in editorial meetings with the Host and newsroom to create compelling local conversations, and be available to perform other duties at GBH as needed.
CWA Local 1400 union position
Skilled in audio production (Adobe Audition, Pro Tools, or similar)
Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills
Superbly organized and able to manage multiple projects, tasks, and shifting priorities; problem solver.
Social media savvy
Interest in community journalism
Commitment to highlighting diverse and underrepresented perspectives
Must be a self-starter
Ability to work within a growing newsroom
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent work experience required.
4-5 years of experience in radio/broadcast, preferably at the national level, or large local station.