In November 2015, STAT was launched as a new national media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source for tough-minded coverage of the business of making medicines, health tech, science, and public health. We produce daily news, investigative articles, and narrative projects in addition to multimedia features, podcasts, and opinion pieces. Our team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
STAT, the leading health and medicine publication, is looking for a reporter to cover health tech, a rapidly evolving area of attracting billions of dollars of investment from the world’s biggest companies and hospital systems. You should be keen to explore the tensions emerging as new technologies clash with patient care, probe the business practices of health tech’s most prominent players, and investigate the issues cropping up as the industry faces pressure to grow.
What You’ll Do
- Investigate the business strategies of tech giants, health care titans and hospital systems, and the startups trying to upend the space. Dig into dealmaking and the money flowing into companies at the forefront of health technology.
- Tell smart, compelling stories on emerging technologies in health care and the thorny questions they raise about patient care
- Be a key player on a top-notch team producing deep and vital reporting of the health tech industry.
- Play a role in helping organize and moderate STAT events related to health tech.
Who You Are
- A versatile writer with experience covering health care, business, or technology.
- Prepared to dive in on a wide range of stories — not only breaking news, but also hard-hitting investigations, insightful features, and ambitious profiles that can only be found in STAT.
- A self-starter when it comes to jumping into stories, but also collaborative in nature and interested in working with other members of STAT’s health tech team. This reporter can also expect to work closely with reporters with expertise in policy, hospitals, and business.
- Committed to journalistic excellence.
- Willing to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The minimum salary for this position is $80,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
The STAT office is located in downtown Boston, nearby Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the US. For this role, we will consider candidates who are based anywhere in the United States.