Quanta Magazine is seeking a first-rate reporter to identify and cover newsworthy developments in machine learning, quantum computing, computational complexity, algorithms, cryptography and other areas of theoretical computer science. The ideal candidate will be an accomplished science journalist eager to scour journals and engage with experts to learn about the latest discoveries and important trends in computer science, before presenting it as engaging and accessible prose for a general audience. Successful candidates will also be superb writers with impeccable news judgment, as well as diehard advocates for the highest standards in journalism and scientific accuracy.
- Pitch, report and write news articles, features, interviews and explainers about theoretical computer science.
- Develop a stable of expert sources to help stay informed about the most important and interesting research happening today.
- Collaborate with editors throughout the editorial and fact-checking process and partner with the design team in the development of artwork, graphics, videos and other associated features.
- Occasionally write about other science and math topics as needed.
- Attend and report from scientific meetings and conferences.
- At least two years of experience as a journalist covering computer science or a related field, preferably for a major science publication.
- Familiarity with computer science concepts and research and a demonstrated knowledge of current developments.
- Must be comfortable writing news and feature articles under web deadlines and be fluent in the best print editing standards and online conventions.
- Must be detail-oriented, organized and an excellent communicator demonstrating command of the highest standards of written English.
- Must be an excellent communicator and team player who thrives in a collaborative setting.
- Must be eager to grow as both a reporter and a writer.
- Basic familiarity with web metrics and SEO is a plus.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position
- At least five published work samples and a link to a portfolio if available.
Quanta Magazine is an award-winning, editorially independent online publication launched by the Simons Foundationto enhance public understanding of science. Our reporters and editors focus on developments in mathematics, theoretical physics, theoretical computer science and the basic life sciences, with an emphasis on delivering timely, accurate, in-depth and well-crafted articles for our broad, discerning audience. Among other awards and accolades for its science journalism, Quanta was awarded a 2020 National Magazine Award for general excellence. Quanta has syndication partnerships with Wired , The Atlantic , Scientific American , The Washington Post and other publications, has published two books ( Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire and The Prime Number Conspiracy ) and our articles have been translated into several languages.
The Simons Foundation's Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.