In November 2015, STAT was launched as a media company focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. We have become an authoritative and trustworthy news source, and our team has won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. The STAT brand includes a website, mobile app, numerous newsletters, live and virtual events, podcasts, and other products. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
STAT is looking for a reporter to examine cardiovascular disease and the related metabolic disorders – diabetes, stroke, obesity – that kill hundreds of thousands of people each year. These diseases are so common they can seem inevitable, even invisible; this reporter will make vivid their enormous costs to individuals and society and will explore promising research, possible treatments, and barriers to reducing or preventing these chronic ailments.
- Tell smart, compelling stories about cardiovascular disease and related metabolic disorders like diabetes, stroke, and obesity, with special attention to drug development and new prevention approaches.
- Scrutinize the financial interests and regulatory decisions that determine who profits from new treatments or from maintaining the status quo.
- Document the toll cardiovascular and related metabolic disorders take on different groups of patients, society, and government.
- Explore the root causes of these conditions, including new models for understanding obesity.
- Be a key player on a top-notch team producing deep and vital reporting on chronic disease.
- Contribute items to STAT newsletters, participate in STAT events, and cover newsletter duties or other spot stories from time to time.
- At least three years experience covering health or science issues.
- Proven ability to break news, generate ideas, dive deep, clarify the complex, and write with precision and compassion
- Productiveness working alone and openness to collaborating with others at STAT
- Willingness to try out different story forms
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The minimum salary for this position is $80,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
This position can be based in our Boston headquarters or remotely. While the location is flexible, occasional travel is likely. That would include trips to STAT’s headquarters and travel to other cities for reporting purposes.
We know that there are strong candidates who may not fit precisely into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and links to up to five clips that showcase your reporting attached to your resume or following your cover letter. In your resume and/or cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild.
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism