Editor, Narrative Audio & Podcasts
North Carolina Public Radio WUNC, Chapel Hill
North Carolina Public Radio WUNC is hiring an Editor, Narrative Audio & Podcasts.
WUNC Radio provides quality news, information and entertainment programming to a broad listening audience that includes North Carolina, the United States and the world. WUNC serves North Carolinians from Greensboro to the Outer Banks through a network of seven stations, with a weekly cume of 300,000 listeners.
This position is located in Durham, NC.
The Narrative Audio Editor reports to the Content Director for North Carolina Public Radio, WUNC. The position is primarily responsible for working with colleagues and external partners to create sound-rich, narrative stories for a variety of shows within WUNC's portfolio.
North Carolina Public Radio WUNC is an NPR member station with an expansive reach across the state to deliver news, information, and representative media to a diversity of communities. WUNC emphasizes highly produced on-demand content with a mission to attract and engage new audiences. The Narrative Audio Editor will influence and enhance the sound of our current podcasts, like Dating While Gray, Great Grief and Embodied, while working with the Content Director to develop and pilot new shows and make strategic decisions about collaborative endeavors. The position is responsible for project management across several shows, final approvals of a majority of WUNC's narrative audio publications and for negotiating production needs to include licenses, permissions and contractor resources. Some audio editing, scoring and sound design is involved.
Minimum Education & Experience Required:
Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree required (or foreign degree equivalent); for candidates demonstrating comparable independent research productivity or comparable background in independent academic or instructional activities, will accept a relevant Bachelor's degree (or foreign degree equivalent) and three or more years of relevant experience in substitution. This experience may be related to the direction/oversight of programs that focus the academic and research resources of a higher education institution towards community or regional issues.
Preferred candidates will have:
- A minimum of four or more years as a journalist or audio producer
- A minimum of two or more years of managerial experience or comparable project management experience
- Experience creating and editing content
- Considerable knowledge of audio production equipment and editing software
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Creativity and initiative
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and meet deadlines, working with a variety of sources and collaborators
- Demonstrated ability to source diverse voices and participants in programming
- Thorough knowledge of radio broadcasting equipment including digital editing programs, broadcast consoles, and portable recording devices
- Ability to interact effectively with colleagues
- Experience transforming complex ideas into engaging storytelling
- A familiarity with North Carolina, national and international issues is strongly preferred
- Experience with public radio fundraising preferred
- Experience hosting radio or podcasts
Interested applicants must apply at: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/228107 .
Candidates should be prepared to attach a current CV, cover letter, and references. Please provide a link, or links, to one of your social media projects. The deadline to apply is 5/22/2022.
WUNC-FM and The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and welcomes all to apply without regard to age, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation. WUNC-FM is committed to anti-racism, diversity, and to building an inclusive newsroom.