The Boston Globe is hiring an Editorial News Print Designer to work with an award-winning team of journalists and developers. We need a versatile, creative, and fast team player who enjoys working on a diverse array of stories and sections. You will work with reporters, editors, photographers and developers to tell visual stories for one of the most engaged metro audiences in the country.
Great skills in Adobe InDesign and PhotoShop are required. A bachelor's degree in journalism or a related field, plus daily newspaper design experience, is preferred. You'll work closely with editors to create visually appealing and smart-reading front pages and special sections. Deadlines are strictly adhered to and efficient page production is a must. Ability to produce charts, graphs, maps for digital and print production required. This is a full-time position.
- Build stunning presentations for a variety of newsroom projects and daily front pages.
- Tell stories through graphics, maps, data visualization, and other creative forms of storytelling.
- Evaluate stories and reporter ideas for visual and presentation possibilities.
- Contribute relevant, interesting ideas in team meetings and brainstorms.
- Manage projects, and help stakeholders to identify and articulate creative needs.
- Reprioritize work as needed based on deadlines.
- Manage your time while working on multiple projects.
- Be detail-oriented, solution-oriented, and think on your feet.
- Minimum of three years’ working in a print news/feature designer role.
- Strong design experience with a good command of typography, illustration and web design.
- Fluency in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop; working knowledge of Methode (CMS) a plus.
- Comfort working with infographics.
- Some experience working with freelance illustrators and/or in the creation of illustrations.
- Comfort working individually as well as on multiple teams on deadline and ability to balance short-term and long-term projects.
- Desire to learn new skills and adapt quickly to newsroom needs.
- Experience or knowledge in one or several of these: copywriting, html, CSS, programming, illustration, infographics, animation.
- An interest in, and understanding of current trends in design, tech & media.
- Strong ability to multi-task and move between distinct projects.
- Keen instincts for visual communication and storytelling.
- Effectiveness as a team member and at relationship building.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
Please include your resume and links to up to five clips that showcase your reporting attached to your resume or following a cover letter.
We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities in news to apply.