WUNC Social Media Producer, Temporary
North Carolina Public Radio WUNC, Chapel Hill
North Carolina Public Radio WUNC is hiring a temporary Social Media Producer.
WUNC Radio provides quality news, information and entertainment programming to a broad listening audience that includes North Carolina, the United States and the world. WUNC serves North Carolinians from Greensboro to the Outer Banks through a network of seven stations, with a weekly cume of 300,000 listeners.
This position is located in Durham, NC.
WUNC seeks a producer to distribute its breaking news journalism and storytelling reach through digital and social media platforms. This producer will lead the creative distribution of news and podcast content through a factual, narrative approach.
The Social Media Producer reports to the Digital News Editor. The position is based in our Durham office with remote opportunities. The candidate must be able to join colleagues in-person in the Durham office as needed. This is a full-time, minimum six (6) months position.
This position will include the following specific responsibilities:
• Take news broadcast and podcast content and distribute appropriately (original audiograms, graphics, videos, live Twitter threads) with timeliness, accuracy, editorial judgment, and an eye for design
• Manage audience engagement with podcasts (polls, hashtag campaigns, event host for Q&As/AMAs)
• Monitor local/state news trends
• Connect directly with social accounts that will like, share and engage with our content
• Collaborate with podcast producers and news reporters on social engagement for their coverage
The Candidate: This individual will be comfortable managing projects across multiple timelines, balancing short-term and long-term projects. They will work both independently and collaboratively. Leading candidates will have a strong background in journalism and the ability to be ethical and swift with information-sharing in breaking news situations. Successful candidates will be fluent in journalistic writing, trend tracking and content creation on all major platforms and have a willingness to experiment responsibly on emerging digital platforms.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience as a digital/social media producer or editor
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong research and journalism skills
- Experience transforming news events and headlines into engaging online storytelling
We recognize not all candidates will come from public radio backgrounds, and we encourage candidates who have other applicable skills not listed here to apply. You may help boost our reporting and coverage in unexpected ways.
Minimum Education & Experience Required: Associate’s degree in electronics and three years of progressive experience in a broadcast television, radio and emerging media engineering environment; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Interested applicants must apply at: http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/225677.
Candidates should be prepared to attach a current CV, cover letter, and references. Please provide a link, or links, to one of your social media projects. The deadline to apply is 4/5/2022.
WUNC-FM and The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and welcomes all to apply without regard to age, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation. WUNC-FM is committed to anti-racism, diversity, and to building an inclusive newsroom.