If you’re an audio journalist with an appetite for daily news, collaboration and experimentation, then you may be the next Audio Producer at CalMatters — an award-winning and influential nonprofit, multimedia news venture focused on covering the cutting-edge state of California.
We’re looking for someone to work across the CalMatters newsroom and with our public radio partners to turn our reporting into daily newscast reports that will be distributed to radio stations across the state. You will work directly with our more than 40 journalists and the broadcast team at CapRadio to build this new offering, dramatically increasing the number of Californians who have access to this vital journalism.
CalMatters produces vivid, original multimedia journalism and data-driven news analyses that appear daily on calmatters.org and are distributed at no cost to more than 250 media partners statewide. More than 10 million people visited our website last year, and 160,000 get our newsletters. In six and a half years we have become the go-to source for clear, compelling coverage of education, health care, housing, the economy, politics, the state legislature and more.
This position is based in our Sacramento headquarters.
- Produce and share daily newscast items with CapRadio and our partners in The California Newsroom, which includes stations like CapRadio in Sacramento, KQED in San Francisco, KPCC/LAist and KCRW in Los Angeles, and KPBS in Sacramento.
- Train and support CalMatters reporters and editors on best practices for audio reporting, including voicer production, talk show appearances, creating audio stories derived from digital work.
- Build a strong connection between CapRadio and CalMatters, attending news meetings, working in both newsrooms, coordinating coverage and identifying opportunities for increased collaboration.
- Help us build a new distribution model for audio and digital content.
- Develop a workflow for audio at CalMatters that meets the editorial and technical standards of CapRadio and other public radio stations.
- Help produce CalMatters podcasts and other audio products as needed.
- Create original audio reporting as needed.
- At least five years of professional journalism experience, though we’ll also consider someone with fewer years whose education and/or experience make them uniquely qualified.
- Sharp audio skills, with work samples that showcase the ability to create audio that’s suitable for public radio stations across the state.
- Desire to build collaborative relationships among multiple newsrooms.
These would be a plus:
- Collaborative journalism experience.
- Daily news production experience.
- Public media background.
Compensation and benefits:
The base salary for this position is $65,000 per year; higher compensation may be available for someone with advanced skills and/or experience.
CalMatters offers a complete benefits package with medical, dental and vision insurance (we cover 90% of the cost for employees and 70% for dependents) from a range of HMO and PPO providers. We’ll match contributions of up to 4% of your salary to our 401(k) program, provide life insurance at no cost, and give you an allowance for personal use of your cell phone and a budget for professional development opportunities like classes and conferences.
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. We’re committed to reflecting the people of the state we serve and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. If you’re interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job, and links to at least six online samples of your work.