Application instructions for this and all current OPB employment opportunities are available at OPB's careers page.
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
OPB has a new and unique opportunity! We’re hiring a Podcast Producer, whose focus will be to showcase OPB content in a way that will resonate with a podcast audience. You will bring to fruition various podcast projects that highlight the work of our talented content team.
This newly created position is perfect for someone with a background in journalism, who has some audio editing experience and a digital-audio-first mindset. We’re seeking a big picture thinker who likes planning and strategy and understands the podcast industry or has genuine curiosity to learn about it.
There is an opportunity for you to make your mark! This is a new and fresh approach to podcasting within local NPR stations. The person in this position will be the first to join the podcast department. You’ll partner with our Executive Editor of Talk and Podcast to help craft a vision for how we move this work forward.
The Podcast Producer assists the development of podcast episodes and series from the initial pitch to final product, working in collaboration with multiple departments to ensure the most effective and impactful content. The Producer works with the Executive Editor of Talk and Podcasts to steer podcasts, documentaries and other audio products from reporting to story scripting and presentation, to powerful use of sound. The producer knows what makes a good story, understands the logistical steps to make it happen, and applies their technical skills to bring it to life.
- 55% - Collaborate with existing shows and content producers at OPB to create audio-rich on-demand content. Work with reporters, producers and editors at OPB to outline editorial content and audio clips, write scripts, and incorporate promotions and underwriting. Work with hosts to track scripting and draft mixes. Work with Executive Editor of Talk and Podcasts to think through podcast strategy for existing shows and content throughout OPB and ensure that equity and inclusion are embedded into the way work gets completed .
- 30% - Guide longform storytelling for 1-3 serial podcast projects/year -- including feedback on reporting plans, managing production calendar, scheduling guest interiviews, writing multiple script drafts and mixes, researching and fact-checking scripts. Foster and participate in an inclusive and collaborative environment. Work with outside talent and reporters on developing new longform audio products as opportunities arise.
- 10% - Pitch, pilot and produce new stories and projects.
- 5% - Other duties, as assigned.
Most work is done in an office, studio or other indoor location. Some travel in-state and nationally may be necessary. Lifting or carrying equipment may be required. Extended periods of sitting and standing may be necessary. The work requires, working evenings, weekends and/or starting the work day early, and occasional travel to remote locations and possibly working in inclement weather.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Three years experience in journalism, ideally as a producer in on demand audio.
- Demonstrated skill producing and mixing audio.
- Experience writing and communicating online (website, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) in a professional capacity.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working collaboratively and communicating effectively with all team members.
- Experience working independently, meeting deadlines and taking direction.
- Knowledge of public media environment, online news, and the podcast ecosystem.
- Demonstrated ability to uphold high ethical standards for journalism.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB.
- Knowledge of AP style, fact checking, and investigative techniques
- Experience developing and editing audio content with proven reach and impact.
- An understanding of the production sensibilities of podcasting and how to incorporate longform storytelling approaches
- Experience coordinating/collaborating with audio hosts, reporters, producers, sound designers
- Enthusiasm for the changing news production environment and the tools and software used to facilitate our work.
- Ability to balance day-to-day editorial planning while also working on longer-term projects
- Experience taking and editing photos and videos.
- This position reports to Executive Editor, Talk and Podcast and is benefits eligible
- The probable hiring range for this exempt position is between $60,000 and $70,000 annually depending on qualifications.
How to Apply
For application instructions, please visit OPB's careers page. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on March 11, 2022.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.