Do you listen to audio stories and dream of having the power to make them better? Do you like analyzing data and searching public records to uncover issues people need to know more about? Do you have experience helping journalists grow into better storytellers? Are you a leader who wants to help reporters tell stories in new ways to reach new, diverse audiences? Come join us as the senior editor for the Gulf States Newsroom!
Public radio stations in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi have partnered with NPR to launch the Gulf States Newsroom. We are working together to plan coverage, share resources and add reporting in parts of the region where local news outlets are folding.
You will work with the Gulf States Newsroom Managing Editor, Digital Editor and station News Directors to assign, budget and edit stories. Supervise one or two reporters on the team. Edit feature stories and projects produced by Gulf States Newsroom reporters. Work with managing editor to develop and edit longform projects. Provide editing support to stations as needed. Fill in for Gulf States Newsroom Managing Editor as needed. Ensure that all content complies with NPR editorial standards.
Key Duties Responsibilities
- Manages all aspects of planning, writing, production, and budgeting for publications
- Facilitates and coordinates production assignment
- May manage direct reports and assume supervisory responsibilities
- May communicate with various sources, including donors, alumni, faculty, researchers, etc.
- Monitors trends and new developments in professional journals and magazines, identifying new technology platforms such as iPad, etc.
- May serve in a publication consultant capacity
- Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, Liberal Arts or a related field and five (5) years of related experience required. Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement.
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 5 years of journalism experience
- A proven track record of reporting or editing original, enterprise stories
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, public speaking ability, and demonstrated writing ability
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously and to adapt to changing priorities/conditions
- Experience incorporating audience and community engagement into the fabric of the story process
- Familiarity with audio storytelling and the public media system
- Experience with podcasting and longform storytelling
- Experience with investigative reporting and data journalism
- Deep knowledge of the people, cultures, issues, and geography in the Gulf States as well as knowledge of national and international issues and events
- Multilingual candidates encouraged to apply
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered. Include two links to stories you reported or edited, along with a few sentences explaining the backstory of the piece and your role.
Annual Salary Range: $50,000 – $60,000
This is a full-time position based at WBHM in Birmingham, AL. The Senior Content Editor is a University of Alabama Birmingham employee enjoying all full-time staff benefits.
This is a grant-funded position with funding through October 2023. The Gulf States Newsroom intends to raise funds to sustain the position beyond that period. More details can be provided in the interview process.
Please apply online at: https://uab.taleo.net/careersection/ext/jobdetail.ftl?job=T192129&tz=GMT-06%3A00&tzname=America%2FChicago
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.