OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
Are you a media operations professional interested in contributing to the behind-the-scenes activities that keeps a statewide 24/7 radio service running seamlessly? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment where one moment you might be creating program logs or updating the radio schedule and then switching gears to prep materials for a membership drive? OPB’s Radio Operations Coordinator position might be the next career move for you!
In this role, you will work closely with the Radio Operations Manager to support the operations for OPB’s primary radio service. You’ll complete a range of operational activities from scheduling promotional content for programs like Morning Edition, strengthening OPB Radio’s digital presence by maintaining the online radio broadcast schedule and assisting with membership drives. Your problem solving and tech skills you bring will be an asset to the team where working in systems and handling issues that arise are a part of your daily work.
You will report to the Radio Operations Manager, work with closely with five hosts/producers and Radio Program Director. This role collaborates closely with members of other departments including technology, development and content.
The Radio Operations Coordinator supports the programming operations of OPB’s primary 24/7 radio service. This person works closely with the Radio Operations Manager to provide a seamless listening experience for OPB’s radio broadcast and streaming audio audience. This position keeps diversity, equity and inclusion front of mind in all aspects of their work as they assist with the management of our content and uses their curiosity and attention to detail to improve programming systems and processes.
Daily operational responsibilities range from working in scheduling software, a media asset management system and a digital playout system (currently Marketron, Dalet and ENCO), collaborating with other teams and departments to keep operations moving forward, supporting the onboarding of on-air talent and assisting during membership drives. This position responds to emergency technical situations both on and off-hours.
- 85% - Operations
- Informs and designs processes for OPB Radio and maintains station operations.
- Creates daily program logs using Marketron (or other applicable broadcast traffic solution).
- Coordinates traffic efforts with OPB’s Corporate Support team.
- Collaborates with marketing and development teams on scheduling of various promotional efforts as they relate to radio broadcast.
- Supports programming and content aspects of automation system(s) (currently ENCO).
- Provides support (as directed) for on-air team regarding OPB’s media asset management system (MAM), Dalet.
- Assists in maintaining satellite feed schedule and all recordings of said feeds (PRSS Content Depot, PRX, etc).
- Ensures all work falls within the rules and regulations mandated by the FCC as they relate to the work of this position.
- Monitors NPR’s Content Delivery Portal and Messaging System, email and other communication methods for breaking news, program impairments, special notices and anything else relating to programming on OPB.
- Maintains online radio broadcast schedule (via NPR Composer) and other program-specific pages at opb.org (using ARC content management system).
- Submits various reports as directed (SoundExchange, NPR funding credit affidavits, etc.)
- Serves as vital team member during membership drives. Preps program clocks, preps timings and cues sheet, and edits programs/content as directed.
- 10% - Available on-call after hours (50% of the time, alternating with the Radio Operations Manager) to respond to broadcast programming operations emergency issues.
- 5% - Other duties as assigned.
Most of this position’s work is done in an office, studio or other indoor location. This position must be available for meetings, trainings, and operational emergencies outside of normal working hours. There may be extended periods of working at a computer. A typical shift for this position is 8 hours per day, Monday through Friday.
- Experience in media operations/traffic system for broadcast.
- Experience in broadcast media
- Technology savvy, with fluent use of software systems and the ability to use content and media management systems.
- Working knowledge of broadcast automation systems.
- Curious and oriented to problem solving, teamwork, systematic thinking, and the pursuit of improvement.
- Able to carry projects forward independently, as directed.
- Must thrive in a fast-paced work environment, take initiative and balance multiple priorities with speed and accuracy.
- Excellent verbal, writing and listening skills.
- Commitment to service and an aptitude for public media and an enthusiasm for OPB.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, accurate and able to meet tight deadlines.
- Experience in standard computer software tools in business applications (Microsoft Office)
- Database experience.
- Experience with Marketron
- Experience with broadcast journalism
- Public radio/media experience.
- Experience working with broadcast automation systems.
- Experience with Dalet or similar Media Asset Management (MAM) system.
- Ability to identify needs and inform new processes in a fast-changing media environment.
- Experience with editorial decisions in newscast production.
- This position reports to Radio Operations Manager and is benefits eligible.
- The hiring range for this nonexempt position is between $24.04 and $ 26.44 per hour, depending on qualifications.
How to Apply
Click on the apply button below. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on November 12, 2021