Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBATV30 (ATL-PBA) and numerous podcasts and digital offerings. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org
Job Title: General Assignment Reporter (focus on Immigration and Communities)
WABE is looking for a reporter who will prominently cover immigration issues in Georgia as well as traditionally underrepresented communities in metro Atlanta. The position will typically work Sunday- Thursday producing radio spots, features, two way interviews, as well as digital stories.
Georgia, especially metro Atlanta, is changing and our audience has reflected that as WABE continues to tell thoughtful, engaging stories across a variety of beats.
This reporter position will need to be able to multi-task local coverage with long-term feature work as well as work with national and international outlets.
This reporter will cover major issues like Georgia’s immigrant detention centers, community ovting trends and registration moments ahead Georgia’s very important 2022 election, and much more.
This reporter will also work with other beats in education, business, housing, criminal justice, environment, health and politics to tell crossover stories such as the state’s vital immigrant workforce, how some groups of people are losing homes in larger numbers than others during the pandemic, how and why some areas are disproportionately impacted by the justice system, etc.
The reporter must be able to build contacts within communities that are targeted by the reporter and the direct editor as well as being able to report complex items in an accessible and of course accurate manner.
• Writing quickly and accurately on deadline for radio, digital and social about complex issues for daily newscasts (when appropriate) and other platforms.
• Serves as WABE reporter for local and national news programs, presenting local news and feature reports.
• Works in cooperation with the news department to compile stories and live, on-air presentation of local content for news programs. This will be a combination of in-studio production, interviewing (some live), coverage of special news assignments as directed, working with technical equipment related to broadcasting.
• Serves on behalf of the station as a spokesperson and or representative at assigned station events or other community related forums.
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Journalism or Communications Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
• At least three years of experience working in digital or broadcast journalism.
• Impeccable news judgment and ethics.
• Excellent writing and editing skills.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a creative team to solve problems and achieve common goals.
• Experience with video and audio production tools, photography, social media.
• Work with team for on-air pledge drives as directed.
• Digital reporting/writing experience preferred.
• Fluency in a second language is highly desired.
Work Environment & Physical Demands: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment. Position, at least initially, will be located off-site in accordance with station policy on off-site work for most staff in response to coronavirus. Candidates must be willing and able to work from home but provide their own transportation to the station once off-site work conditions are lifted.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org