Bethesda Beat, a vital voice covering Maryland’s most populous county, is growing and looking for a hungry, savvy reporter to cover politics. The looming elections for Montgomery County executive and a redistricted county council will have a significant impact on more than 1 million residents. We’re looking for a journalist who can reveal the players, explore the issues, follow the money, repel spin — and explain the process to readers.
This role requires an ambitious mix of breaking news, enterprise and approaches driven by what readers need to know. We are exploring the potential for an authored newsletter during this election cycle as well. This reporter will also have a significant role in compiling the Beat’s voter guides for the primary and general elections.
Candidates should have fluency covering politics and elections, using public records and data, and explaining complex issues.
Bethesda Beat is an equal opportunity employer intent on building a diverse newsroom that reflects the audience it serves. Candidates are encouraged to highlight new perspectives they can bring to our team.
- One-three years of reporting experience, including political coverage, at a daily news organization
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to tell a story
- Excellent news judgment, audience awareness and understanding of journalistic ethics
- Experience working in a digital publishing system
- Familiarity with and interest in Montgomery County
- Willingness to represent Bethesda Beat on audio and video platforms
- Working knowledge of photography