Director, Type Investigations Editors Institute
Type Investigations, a nonprofit investigative newsroom and project of Type Media Center, seeks a Director for its soon-to-be-launched Editors Institute. The ideal candidate will be a creative and enterprising journalist eager to launch and grow a new project.
The project’s goals are threefold: To help journalists gain the skills they need to compete for top investigative editing jobs; to connect news outlets to experienced investigative editors at a time when such candidates are scarce; and to help transform a traditionally white, male-dominated field.
The Editors Institute will help journalists of diverse backgrounds transition into new roles as investigative editors. Editor fellows will edit at least two major investigations during their year-long fellowships, working alongside an experienced team of editors, fact-checkers, and researchers in an award-winning newsroom. Type Investigations partners with a wide range of print, broadcast, and digital media outlets, including Politico, The Texas Observer, Reveal, NPR, The Intercept, and Mother Jones.
This is a part-time position with the possibility of becoming full-time.
The Director will be responsible for:
- Helping to design and launch a year-long editing fellowship.
- Working with our development team to draft funding proposals.
- Developing an application process and conducting outreach to recruit potential fellows.
- Providing intensive, hands-on guidance to three inaugural editor fellows.
- Facilitating fellows’ participation in on-site and outside trainings.
- Coordinating staff mentors for fellows who will help support their work.
- Helping Type Media Center evaluate the success of the program and implement changes.
· Developing a vision for the program’s growth and expansion.
An ideal candidate will have:
- A successful track record as an investigative editor.
- Management experience.
- Strong writing skills.
- Development experience (a plus, but not required).
This position is open to candidates based in NYC or comfortable working remotely. Part-time salary range: $50,000-60,000 plus benefits. To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, writing or editing sample in PDF format, and two references to email@example.com Please include “Director Editors Institute” in the subject line.
Type Media Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace and do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, partnership status, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Type Media Center is a non-profit home for independent journalists and authors. Our mission is to produce high-impact journalism and literary nonfiction that addresses injustice and inequality, catalyzes change, informs and uplifts social movements, and sparks national and global conversations while transforming and diversifying the fields of journalism and publishing.