Produces original news reporting consistent with coverage priorities of KRCC News and CPR News; primarily responsible for news of the day (newscast), features/two-ways; and digital content in a General Assignment capacity. Works in on-call and breaking news situations. May identify, follow and report on ongoing news threads. Serves as a backup host on an as-needed basis.
View Full Description (PDF)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Report stories for news magazines and newscast. This includes pitching story ideas, producing quick-turn newscast, features, and debriefs on daily news developments.
- Write digital stories. This includes taking photographs and participating in KRCC's social media activity.
- Serves as a backup host on an as-needed basis. This includes reporting, writing and editing newscasts; producing newscast material to ensure listeners have the most up-to-date information. Write and voice weather updates, promos and continuity breaks.
- Participate in assigned fundraising and outreach activities, on air and off.
- Work non-standard hours at times, including during early mornings and evenings and occasional weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Travel likely throughout KRCC's radio footprint in Southern Colorado.
View the full job description.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Experience in a professional newsroom.
- Demonstrated strong news judgment, writing and delivery skills. Strong understanding of the fundamentals of journalism and fair and accurate reporting.
- Public radio news hosting experience preferred.
- Experience with audio production software.
- Must understand and adhere to CPR News Ethics policy.
- Familiarity with WordPress preferred.
- Able to work collaboratively, meet deadlines, juggle multiple tasks
Available to work during non-standard working hours and weekend on-call shifts, as needed. This job will include travel.
This position is based in Colorado Springs.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com with "Reporter/Host, KRCC" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please.
Colorado Public Radio is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package that reflects our culture of caring. Our employees have access to: 100 percent employer paid individual health, dental, life, and disability coverage; an outstanding paid family medical leave policy plus paid holidays and a very generous sick, vacation, and personal time off plan; voluntary offerings such as vision; a competitive retirement plan match with no waiting or vesting periods; flexible schedules; engagement and development opportunities; and a casual atmosphere.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.