Be part of the creative, journalistic engine that powers our daily show.
WPLN News is launching a daily news show this fall that will serve the Nashville region with insightful and engaging conversations on a wide range of topics, plus in-depth original reporting and the latest on the day’s top news. As one of two multimedia producers, you’ll be responsible for making clear and professional editorial, audio and social media decisions under the pressure of daily deadlines.
You'll help shape the sound, focus and editorial direction of the daily show by:
- Producing recorded or live segments of the show — including interviews with the host and sound-rich features
- Suggesting and securing fascinating guests and ensuring the logistics are in place for a recording or live appearance
- Preparing the host and others for the segment with background, research and context
- Adapting segments for multiple uses: In addition to the radio show, parts of your work will live on our website, on social media, in a podcast and in daily newscasts
- Over time, you might be handed full responsibility for regular segments within the show, which require planning, production, and occasional field recording
We’re looking for people with superior creative and editorial judgment who can deliver high-quality audio work as part of a team. If you want to really shape a show and its sound, if you are excited by hitting deadlines and helping an audience understand and connect with issues, stories and fellow community members, this is the job for you. (Extra points for bringing humor and thoughtfulness to a fast-paced news environment.)
What You Bring:
- Two years of experience in a news or production environment, and some experience in editing audio
- Spirit of collaboration in edits
- Comfort with juggling logistical details and problem-solving
- Strong ideas for what makes a compelling segment
- Fast and accurate writing and reporting skills
- Good communication skills and persistence with securing guests (fearless!)
- Desire to work in a start-up environment with daily deadlines, where the whole team works hard on a show together
What We Bring: You’ll be joining a newsroom that has produced groundbreaking?podcasts, special projects and national investigations. You’ll also have access to the talent and creativity of our new music discovery station WNXP, and you can expand on the newsroom’s community engagement partnerships, including a regular collaboration with? Nashville Noticias.??
This position reports to the executive producer of the daily show. The salary starts at $50,000 and is commensurate with experience. This job is based in Nashville.
More: Don’t know much about Nashville? Here’s a snapshot.
How To Apply: Please apply on our application form. You will be asked to upload a resume (PDF only), links to your work and a cover letter explaining why you bring what we're looking for. The deadline to apply is August 25.
10 Core Values of WPLN’s New Daily Show:
- Curiosity & creativity: We show genuine interest in a wide range of topics and tell stories in a wide variety of ways. We don’t do boring.
- Inclusivity: We showcase the diversity of Middle Tennessee and the expertise of lived experience.
- Respect & generosity: We seek first to understand why people do what they do, creating a space where guests and listeners feel valued. Conversations are spirited but respectful.
- Independence: We ask officials tough questions and, more importantly, ask them to answer to the public.
- Courage & grit: We employ healthy skepticism and lean into complexity.
- Context: We strive to connect the dots — telling people how we got here and why it matters.
- Community engagement & empowerment: We foster meaningful relationships across the region and strive to help residents ask questions and solve problems.
- Top-notch radio journalism: We prioritize accuracy and transparency in our reporting, and attention to detail in our sound design and engineering.
- Collaboration & growth: We succeed as a team. We are unafraid to experiment and learn from mistakes.
- Joy: We strive to broadcast something every day that makes people feel delighted about humanity.
About Nashville Public Radio: Nashville Public Radio is a community-owned public radio service that strives to become a vital source of local journalism (WPLN News) and music discovery (WNXP and Nashville Classical Radio) for everyone in Middle Tennessee. WPLN News has doubled in size in recent years and is proud to have strong existing community support. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusivity in our hiring. Nashville Public Radio?is an equal opportunity employer.