The Boston Globe is hiring an editor on its audience engagement team to oversee analytics throughout the newsroom. This candidate should be a whiz with reader metrics, someone able to crunch numbers, break down complex data sets, and filter real-time metrics to spot opportunities.
But we also need a journalist who sees our stories and reporters as more than just data points. We need someone who can help decipher the *why* behind a story’s success, and who believes deeply in the Globe’s journalistic mission and the role metrics can play in making the Globe an even more vital part of the community.
Finally, we need someone collaborative and energetic, a person who understands the pace and odd hours that sometimes come with news coverage, and who is willing to work hand-in-hand with a wide variety of reporters, editors, and producers across our newsroom.
- Performing analysis on editorial stories, projects, and readership patterns for the newsroom.
- Leading training/seminars and deliver reports to journalists on story performance and audience insights
- Managing a series of dashboards and rankings on newsroom performance.
- Owning relationships with vendors and introducing new tools to the newsroom
- Conducting real-time analysis for breaking and developing news events, giving guidance to journalists on best practices, story angles, publish times, and audience trends
- Help work on SEO and identify opportunities on search and social media
- Work with reporters, editors, and producers to establish tests for experiments and new ventures
- Manage site taxonomy, navigation, and metadata tagging
- At least 3-5 years of experience as a journalist
- Previous experience with analytics programs; Omniture and Chartbeat preferred
- Good understanding of social media, newsletters, news alerts, and other channels through which people read online
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Facility with a CMS and other digital publishing tools
- Skilled at multitasking and juggling multiple projects at once
- A team player who thrives working in a group setting
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
EEO Statement: Boston Globe Media Partners LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic.