The Global Public Affairs and Communications organization at Starbucks Coffee Company is looking for an experienced writer/storyteller with a passion for humanity, sustainability, coffee and those working to make the world a better place.
Do you believe that great storytelling can inspire us and bring us together? Do you have a natural curiosity that makes you want to discover the stories of a coffee farmer in Rwanda, an agronomist working on new strains of coffee trees and NGOs working to combat climate change? Can you find a great story in a Starbucks drive thru or by noticing the regulars in a Military Family Store or the transgender store manager who is the heart of her community? Do you enjoy consensus building and collaborating with other teams to find the best ways to bring stories to life or finding creative ways to make a business story lively? If so, you may be the right fit for the Starbucks Stories (https://stories.starbucks.com/) team, a group of writers, designers, editors, producers, photographers, videographers and more.
The person we’re looking for is deeply curious about people and the world around them and a heart for working toward positive change. The writer is flexible and willing to do what’s needed, whether it’s deep storytelling, a quick synopsis, crafting a social media post, writing an internal profile or, occasionally, an executive communication. This writer has a portfolio of storytelling that showcases an evocative style that inspires, motivates and moves and can help bring to life the mission and values of Starbucks. And, ideally, some experience in other mediums, such as video and audio storytelling and social media.
This is a unique opportunity to join a forward-thinking, hands-on, results-driven and highly collaborative team and play a pivotal role. Things happen quickly here and the role demands a team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment. If you love to tell stories and lead by example, if you’re inspired by coffee and connection, then we want to talk to you about being a part of Starbucks Stories team.
Starbucks is looking for a storyteller with extensive digital writing and multimedia experience. We need someone who has experience in corporate storytelling but also great foundational chops in interviewing and reporting skills earned at a news outlet. Ideally, the candidate will have experience at a high-visibility consumer brand or public-facing non-profit organization. This writer will have some expertise in sustainability and a track record of compelling, human-centered storytelling. Reporting to the director of storytelling on the Starbucks Stories team based at Starbucks headquarters in Seattle. This position can be remote but must be available during West Coast business hours.
- In close partnership with the director of storytelling and a multifunctional team of writers, designers, producers and visual storytellers, evolve and elevate the storytelling and strategy of the Starbucks Stories team.
- Collaborate across the company to conceive of and create compelling globally relevant stories with an authentic voice.
- Ensure the newsworthiness, intrigue, authenticity, accuracy and timeliness of reported stories, always with the utmost in ethics and accuracy.
- Work with aplomb and on deadline within ambiguity and confidentiality.
- Work closely with the Public Affairs Marketing and Social Media teams to align and elevate company messages.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams across the company, including partner affinity networks, on storytelling.
- Work closely with the Starbucks Partner communications team to help support internal storytelling.
- Support executive communications as needed.
- Contribute to writing social media posts.
- Build relationships, collaborate across departments and provide messaging and storytelling support for major events such as the Leadership Conferences and Starbucks Annual Meeting of Shareholders.
- Be ready and eager to help support in whatever way that’s needed.
- 5+ years experience doing corporate storytelling for a major brand or non-profit or reporting on complex subjects through a lens of humanity at a national news outlet
- 10+ years professional writing experience
- Expertise interviewing people from the C-suite to the coffee shop.
- A proven commitment to multiple sourcing, fairness and accuracy paired with a nose for news / keen understanding of audience expectations.
- A portfolio of storytelling for diverse media channels (e.g. written word, video, audio, social media).
- A track record of working successfully in a global, collaborative setting.
- An attention to detail in both written and visual contexts and an “always on” sense of urgency, dependability and accessibility.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in communications, journalism, digital media, marketing or a similar field.
- Passion for working at Starbucks and making a difference in the world.
Applicants: Please provide a cover letter, resume and writing samples in your application.
Primary Location: US
Join us and be part of something bigger. Apply today!
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.