STAT is an online media publication focused on finding and telling compelling stories about health, medicine, and scientific discovery. We attract and engage an influential audience of readers in the life sciences industry — from executives and scientists, to advertisers and professional services in the healthcare space. At five years old, STAT is a late-stage startup with a fast-paced environment, eager to continue growing a national and international reputation.
When STAT launched, our core revenue strategy was to create a product that readers would pay for in our news subscription business, STAT+. Over the years, we have expanded the definition of “product” from news to events, reports, and new features and products to serve the STAT community. Monetizing our readers through these products and initiatives is the core pillar of our business plan now and in the years ahead.
As the Consumer Marketing Director, you will manage a team focused on driving growth for STAT's consumer revenue businesses. This includes managing acquisition and retention efforts for established products like the STAT+ subscription service, as well as bringing to market and monetizing new products like events, reports, data products, and new partnerships. It also involves working across teams (editorial, events, product/engineering, and community) to find and develop new product ideas that monetize the STAT platform.
Your team is also responsible for executing cross-channel marketing campaigns to support STAT brand studios, advertising sales and group subscriptions.
As with any small but growing business, the role will require a combination of strategic thinking, the ability to look ahead with vision, and the willingness to roll-up your sleeves and execute on the strategies you develop.
Consumer Revenue Products (STAT+, Event Tickets, Reports, Data Products)
- Manage a small marketing team to produce and execute cross-channel marketing campaigns to drive customer and revenue growth of existing products and launch of new products. This includes:
- Product Strategy: Help develop business plans, execute market research, and internal idea vetting to assess market fit and go-to-market strategies for new products and partnerships
- Reporting & Analytics: Build key metrics reports for the marketing, sales, editorial & product teams for ongoing effort to identify areas of opportunity and growth for the business, and to inform the development of successful marketing campaigns.
- Marketing Strategy: Working with editorial to define product attributes, target audience, audience benefits of product. Define campaign objectives and KPIs
- Execute campaigns, including: copywriting, building email campaigns, setting up paid social media campaigns, launching on-site promotions (banner ads, widgets, etc.), PR, and working with partners to promote STAT initiatives.
- Manage $150k-$200k advertising budget for Facebook, LinkedIn and Google, as well as our external marketing vendor relationships, including a PR agency and a PPC/SEO agency.
- Set customer acquisition and retention strategies and tactics for all products
- Develop and execute lead generation campaigns to continue building database of target customers for all STAT products
- Use analytics to increase performance, onsite and offsite, of all efforts at customer acquisition and retention
Ad/Sponsorship based products; B2B Ad Sales Marketing
- Responsible for making sure that the clients are properly integrated into marketing campaigns when sponsorships are sold-through.
- Work with the Advertising Sales and Group Subscriptions teams to surface and nurture new leads/prospects.
- Provide STAT+ customer service support, and surface key feedback to the Editorial and Product teams.
- BA/BS degree required. Business or marketing degree preferred but not required.
- 7-10 years of professional experience in subscription marketing, online retail marketing, performance marketing, or related experiences.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, with a keen attention to detail.
- Strategic vision but willingness to roll-up sleeves and execute
- Able to juggle multiple, evolving projects with competing priorities.
- Self-motivated and ambitious, strong ability to manage and complete projects independently.
- Creative, detail oriented and organized, with an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Experience with analysis platforms like Omniture and Google Analytics.
- Experience with marketing automation platforms like Hubspot.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Bonus Points if You…
- Have an interest in biotech, pharma, and their supporting industries.
- Have experience with media brands, subscription businesses, or both.
- Are excited by the prospect of helping grow a business exponentially — and of building the plane as it flies.
Interested in this job?
If so, we’d love to hear from you. Please submit a COVER LETTER and RESUME. All applications must have a cover letter in order to be considered.