Interfaith Youth Core (IFYC) has grown and evolved since our founding in 2002, adapting fearlessly to meet the complex challenges of 21st-century worldview diversity. We have gone from running interfaith youth programs in church, mosque, and synagogue basements to shaping a national narrative about the power and potential of civic religious pluralism while focusing on the society-transforming power of higher education. We believe in the essential contributions of countless religious and philosophical traditions that affirm the dignity and justice for every human being. IFYC affirms and supports work for racial equity and is committed to the transformation of America into the promise of what it can be but has not yet been.
When someone needs an expert in religion media creation and distribution, they call you. You have demonstrated your ability to build high traffic digital content platforms that impact the national conversation. You are always hungry for the next story that supports positive change in civil society. You’re a top-notch editor and have the ability to coach and provide editorial support to writers to be at their best. You’re a relentless planner that keeps multiple schedules on track. You thrive in a fast-paced, adaptable environment where one day won’t look like the next. You enjoy working collaboratively and liaising across multiple complex projects with various stakeholders. You hold yourself and your work to a high bar of excellence and take personal responsibility for achieving your goals.
Build the premier religion platform in America aimed at celebrating interfaith cooperation and learning. As the Managing Editor, you’ll continue to expand Interfaith America, a narrative-driven, highly collaborative platform on our website that lifts and celebrates the stories of bridge-building and religious pluralism from within the IFYC network, most notably from our constituents, and promote them to national media. You’ll help move the needle in this important time in history and bring this online interfaith space to life. Equal parts writer/editor, trusted media partner, and mentor, the Managing Editor will imagine and create engaging content while mentoring others on how to do so, and build a media platform that will ensure these stories reach a national audience.
Narrative Platform Interfaith America:
• Envision and execute a dynamic, strategic content plan and editorial calendar featuring stories of interfaith cooperation, profiles in young interfaith leadership, relevant content from IFYC media partners and case studies from our partner campuses doing innovative work.
• Recruit and manage IFYC content contributors (both internal and external contributors)
• Assign and take overall editing responsibility of stories, photographs, graphics, videos, audio and other news content
• Curate and create image-driven, engaging multimedia posts for our narrative platform and work with our Social Media Strategist to create social media posts to increase traffic and grow the network
• Create content dissemination strategy for Interfaith America, and work with Marketing & Communications teammates to execute through social media, email, syndication, web, public affairs to meet traffic, reach and audience acquisition goals
• Develop strategic partnerships with like-minded media outlets that elevate and promote each other’s content
• Coordinate with the marketing and communications team, public affairs team and other IFYC staff on content creation, content dissemination, and web development
• Supervise IFYC’s Staff Writer/Media Manager
• Copy edit content for Interfaith America
• Write and edit copy for IFYC's main website as needed
Teaching & Training Interfaith Storytellers:
• Coordinate and facilitate a series of live and/or online training sessions to help IFYC constituents to cultivate a public voice, write effectively for the media, and craft stories that can positively impact public narratives around religious pluralism in America
• Maintain relationships and regular communication with IFYC constituents offering them ongoing opportunities to contribute content to IFYC’s narrative platform
• Create video or written content for use in IFYC Curriculum
• 7+ years of editorial experience in digital media, storytelling, and/or journalism
• 5+ years of experience building and managing teams, reviewing data, and setting and achieving goals
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, media, technology or a related field
• Extensive knowledge of content marketing and best practices
• Demonstrated ability to quickly generate compelling, error-free prose
• Ability to balance and prioritize multiple ongoing projects from multiple stakeholders
• Collaborative nature; flexibility and agility in problem-solving
• Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
• Authorization to work in the United States
Preferred Qualifications (not required):
• High level of religious literacy and fluency in diversity, pluralism, and inclusion
• Masters degree in journalism, communication or related field
• Passionate commitment to IFYC’s vision of making interfaith cooperation a social norm
• Proven experience as a solution-oriented editorial lead
• Be flexible, willing to pivot and respond to the changing needs and landscape of the media
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with proven experience of being adaptable and experimental
• Excellent taste and editorial judgment, with an appetite to learn about interfaith cooperation
• Be collaborative and goal-oriented
Compensation and Benefits: $70,000 - $90,000 annually plus free medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance for employee-only coverage. Those who wish to cover their dependents can contribute through payroll for dependent health coverage. Generous time off policies that include paid time off, floating holidays, fixed holidays, sick leave and paid parental leave.
Supervisor: Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation
Direct Reports: Staff Writer/Media Manager
Application: please upload your resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample that you have written or edited
Application deadline: open until filled
Start Date: July 12th
Location: strong preference for working from our hybrid Chicago Loop office at 141 W Jackson Blvd. #3200 Chicago, IL 60604 though open to other US locations
Travel: minimal travel involved (0-5% of the year)
The Managing Editor requires the ability, with or without reasonable accommodation, to: maintain regular attendance; work in our Chicago Loop office; occasional travel for meetings; work cooperatively with others; adhere to IFYC personnel policies and safety rules; sit and/or stand for extended periods of time; operate standard office equipment, including computers, telephones, photocopiers, and projectors; communicate orally, in writing, and via computers and digital devices; and requires close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures, transcribe, view a computer terminal and other office equipment.
IFYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of religion, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, marital status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Reasonable accommodation will be provided as needed to enable qualified applicants with a disability to participate in pre-employment procedures.